NGD - somewhat of a return... ES-330

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• camfcamf Frets: 1203
    I got a sunburst 2018 ES-330 a few months ago and I love it. Such a great guitar to pick up and play. Does everything I need, and especially that ‘edge of feedback’ thing. Wish I’d splashed the cash years ago. Ah well...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • @ICBM - good to know it's at least worth a try to see if I like it. I shall have to source an appropriate bit of wood. 

@Hattigol - sorry...! I highly recommend them though... But also yay to guitar-sniffing! My Rickenbacker smells awesome too, though strangely quite different despite also being maple. Maybe it's the case after all. 

@Camf yes. I've basically spent 90% of my free time sitting 2 feet from the amp in a variety of opening tunings just enjoying the feeling of the whole system working together in and out of feedback. I love it. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 17500
    Anyone have any thoughts on the soundpost question? @ICBM @WezV @anyoneelse??
    i can't really say what tonal impact it would have on a laminated thinline guitar.  Structurally, it makes some sense to have additional support

In violin family instruments its a structural support, but with easily quantifiable tonal impacts.   it stiffens the soundboard making things a bit brighter.  It also helps when bowing, where the force is greater from the treble side... note you have a sound post on the treble side and a brace (bass bar) on the other in these instruments.

I haven't tried it, but the stuff I have read suggests you lose some volume and richness when using a soundpost in an acoustic/archtop guitar.   of course, this may be exactly what you want to achieve in a thinline electric guitar...I would expect it to change the way it responds to feedback... i'm hesitant to say better/worse
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Cheers Wez. I definitely agree with you that it's likely a different/different situation rather than inherently better/worse, but also feel like it's an interesting thing to explore, ideally to give just a hint more semi-hollow character, but not lose the overall flavour of the resonance it currently has. 

I'll give it a go and we'll see :) 
  • Lovely :) congratulations. Enjoy it!
  • Took this to a jam session last night - first time playing with anyone else in literally years. It did not disappoint. 

I put a small board together with Archer, JanRay, Mako D1 and Deco, into the Tonemaster Deluxe Reverb and made some really really great noises... :)
  • That is lovely!! 330s seem so hard to find compared to 335s :(
  •  Well, count me as a total fan of the Memphis es 330...
    This is a ‘59 RI VOS from the 2015 run of lefties.  
    (I’m using the quality shop photos)
    Bought last December from the USA 

• erky32erky32 Frets: 49
    There's usually 1 or 2 here in France on leboncoin (a French national trading website) if that's of any use?

https://www.leboncoin.fr/recherche?category=30&text=gibson es330

• NiteflyNitefly Frets: 5069
    I remember thinking "He'll regret that" when you sold the last one, so soon after you finally found it - looks like I was right!  ;)

I hope this one's a keeper for you.

I got mine in 2009 from Jamie Hartnoll's - it was a 60th birthday pressie from Our Maud.  Hmm - I was going to post a pic, but postimage doesn't seem to be working today?

• Nitefly said:
    I remember thinking "He'll regret that" when you sold the last one, so soon after you finally found it - looks like I was right!  ;)

I hope this one's a keeper for you.

I got mine in 2009 from Jamie Hartnoll's - it was a 60th birthday pressie from Our Maud.  Hmm - I was going to post a pic, but postimage doesn't seem to be working today?

Honestly, the day I sold it I said to @NickB that I knew I would miss it, but not necessarily regret selling at the time, as I had other plans and knew I could find another of these at some point if I wanted one. 

I’m pretty chilled about the whole process as if I hadn’t gone through it I would have still been umming & ahhing, whereas now I’m 100% sure it’s a keeper.

I do want to switch the pickups for something a little lower in output purely so it isn’t massively louder than my other guitars, and I may experiment with a Faber bridge, but it’s great guitar ad I’m very happy to be back here.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6318
    One more thing - the smell! I'd forgotten how good this thing smells. I'm not sure if it's from the case or the glue holding the body together, but it's lovely :)
    Stop it! You’re putting me in a new guitar mood. :) Happy new guitar day, definitely looks like a keeper.