Lefty woes - can anyone make me a Mustang?

What's Hot
solarsolar Frets: 174
edited November 2020 in Making & Modding
I really like this guitar:

It's a Fender Player Mustang 90 in Aged Natural. £479 at Andertons.

Things I like about it:

* Mustang/offset shape
* Short scale
* P90 pickups
* Hardtail
* Dark natural finish.

Here's the problem: I'm left handed. And they don't make it in left handed.

I enquired (via Andertons) to find out how much it would cost to have one made by the Fender Custom Shop. Apparently, Fender only do custom Mustangs if you go up to the very highest "Masterbuilt" grade. The price I was quoted was 7 to 8 thousand pounds.

EDIT ARGH the forum ate half my post because I put an emoji in there, here's the rest.

So.. obviously I don't really want to spend that on a guitar that would normally be under £500.

So my question is.. can anyone recommend a luthier who can make one for a more sensible price? Or a similar guitar that meets my specs and is available in left handed?

Thanks!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14762
    edited November 2020
    Anybody with a workshop and the necessary templates should be able to create something suitable. 

Since your order would be a limited quantities job, it ought to be possible to request any timbers you fancy … in a Custom Shop stylee … but for considerably fewer Sovs.

In your position, I would PM @GSPBASSES ;
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • badlydrawnbanjobadlydrawnbanjo Frets: 856
    edited November 2020
    Japanese Traditional 60's are available left handed. I do appreciate that they don't fit the brief but factor in a £300ish for mods and a refinish and you'll save £6-7k on your custom shop price! 
    https://www.gak.co.uk/en/fender-japan-ltd-traditional-60s-mustang-left-handed-sonic-blue/936515
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • solarsolar Frets: 174
    Sorry.. the forum ate half of my post. Have now updated with the rest.

I did think about modding a Traditional 60s but I assumed that would be painful because of the bridge..
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73049
    The one you posted a picture of is - despite what Fender say - actually a Duo-Sonic, not a Mustang. Because it's a hardtail...

Which makes it quite a lot harder, because as far as I know Fender (or Squier) have never done a LH Duo-Sonic.

But you could start with this - https://reverb.com/item/7063221-alder-lefty-duo-sonic-ii-mustang-vintage-spec-1-piece-1205-left-hand-unfinished-offset-guitar-body

It would need a LH Mustang or Jaguar neck, re-routing for P90s, and a custom pickguard, but none of that is going to cost anything like seven or eight grand - in fact I would be surprised if it would come to as much as a tenth of that.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• solarsolar Frets: 174
    edited November 2020
    Oh, hmm maybe this should be in Making and Modding? EDIT moved.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14762
    Er, is the re-issued Fender Lead series offered left-handed?
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • GSPBASSESGSPBASSES Frets: 2357
    tFB Trader

I can make a left handed Sonic/Mustang looking pretty much like the photo you put up. The cost would be the same as I sell my Strat’s and TC’s for. Where you will come into a problem is finding the left handed control plate and pickguard, I would imagine it would be almost impossible. 

Might be worth dropping Eternal guitars or Feline guitars to see if they can help you, thats if you want a completed guitar.

Your life will improve when you realise it’s better to be alone than chase people who do not really care about you. Saying YES to happiness means learning to say NO to things and people that stress you out.

https://www.facebook.com/grahame.pollard.39/

• longjawlongjaw Frets: 424
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73049
    Er, is the re-issued Fender Lead series offered left-handed?
    For the sake of the world’s lefties, I hope not...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1398
    edited November 2020
    GSPBASSES said:

I can make a left handed Sonic/Mustang looking pretty much like the photo you put up. The cost would be the same as I sell my Strat’s and TC’s for. Where you will come into a problem is finding the left handed control plate and pickguard, I would imagine it would be almost impossible. 

Might be worth dropping Eternal guitars or Feline guitars to see if they can help you, thats if you want a completed guitar.

faction in US make an awful lot of plates. if they don't currently make lefty mustang/DS plates, they probably could.
    edit: just checked and they do LH parts!