Hahaha. Any Clapton nuts got 25k

What's Hot
ellangusellangus Frets: 250
Along with many others, I got Scammed by J Collingridge 'Award Winning' Photographer. Full details about his behaviour on this and other forums can be found on this thread. If you have been Scammed by J Collingridge 'Award Winning' Photographer, let us know and even if you haven't, putting a similar message in your own signature will help us warn others.
2reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• soma1975soma1975 Frets: 7249
    Well I liked the history lesson at least. 
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Tldr
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74494
    That’s actually very cool. I can see the value in it far more than quite a lot of reproductions or painted guitars. The guitar itself wouldn’t be cheap nowadays...

I wouldn’t buy it personally, probably even if I had the money, but I don’t think it’s a crazy price given what’s gone into it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Tldr
    "Clapton had a guitar that looked like this one. I've painted an old one to con someone into spending over the odds without any tangible evidence as to what the underlying guitar actually is" 

My money's on it being seriously hacked about and repaired, because surely noone would do this to a 55-year old guitar that was in good condition?
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30358
    When I'm spending 25k on a guitar, I like to have a fuller description of it.

My money's on it being seriously hacked about and repaired, because surely noone would do this to a 55-year old guitar that was in good condition?
    Some people turn only lightly damaged or even perfectly good 50s goldtops into fake “bursts”.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • mark123mark123 Frets: 1357
    1965 sg worth about 6k so £19,000 for a paint job thats ruined the fretboard .no thanks.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:

Some people turn only lightly damaged or even perfectly good 50s goldtops into fake “bursts”.
    True :( 
  • stickyfiddle said: surely noone would do this to a 55-year old guitar that was in good condition?
    Hmmm, it is an SG though.....
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks for posting this - thoroughly enjoyed the story and the ad.

I think the paint job is great, aside from the neck, which personally I would preferred to be left natural.

But hey, if that is what the original was like then at least it is period correct.
  • stickyfiddle said: surely noone would do this to a 55-year old guitar that was in good condition?
    Hmmm, it is an SG though.....
    ...and therefore the best solidbody on the planet, and hence even more important to not mess with? :D 
  • newi123newi123 Frets: 954
    `Closer to the original than the original.........` - pretty close then! :-)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11680
    How apt, we're going from The Fool designing it to a fool who'll buy it.

Maybe the first thing they play on it will be "We're Going Wrong". 
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 20600
    I wonder what the reaction would be if the guitar came from Gibson's Custom Shop, painted by a 'big name'?
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28753
    edited November 2020
    I wonder what the reaction would be if the guitar came from Gibson's Custom Shop, painted by a 'big name'?
    I'd still think it was stupid, but certainly less stupid if painted on a new guitar. 

I still think the Iommi Monkey SG is a daft thing. It's great-looking despite a quirky spec, and definitely a worthy signature release.  But requiring everyone to buy 2 (including 1 that you can't play unless fully ambidextrous!) is mental, and I suspect a chunky part of why several shops haven't sold them. 
  • idiotwindowidiotwindow Frets: 1529
    edited November 2020
    I still think the Iommi Monkey SG is a daft thing. It's great-looking despite a quirky spec, and definitely a worthy signature release.  But requiring everyone to buy 2 (including 1 that you can't play unless fully ambidextrous!) is mental, and I suspect a chunky part of why several shops haven't sold them. 
    You don't need to buy both. They are sold individually. left and right-handed, by Gibson in editions of 25 each. Some dealers are selling them as a pair, others not. Andertons have a LH one in stock. As do GuitarGuitar in their Birmingham shop (which seems like an appropriate location). Peach, for reasons known only to themselves, are selling only as a RH and LH pair.
    I'd still think it was stupid, but certainly less stupid if painted on a new guitar.
    I think it's much better for being done on a real old guitar of the correct era. It's not as if it's a particularly rare model or he's going to be churning out hundreds of them.

If it was a new Custom Shop guitar it would be just another mass-produced (however limited the numbers) cash-in.

• soma1975soma1975 Frets: 7249
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
  • I wonder what the reaction would be if the guitar came from Gibson's Custom Shop, painted by a 'big name'?
    You don't need to buy both. They are sold individually. left and right-handed, by Gibson in editions of 25 each. Some dealers are selling them as a pair, others not. Andertons have a LH one in stock. As do GuitarGuitar in their Birmingham shop (which seems like an appropriate location). Peach, for reasons known only to themselves, are selling only as a RH and LH pair.
    Ok, I didn’t realise that. When they were announced I’m 99% sure they were a matching set only.