The Story of a DIY Surf Guitar needs its Hero!

What's Hot

Hello all,

I'm installing a pair of pickups in a guitar for the first time and I think I may have gone as far as I can alone. My tester confirms continuation between the jack plug lugs and the pickups (in the middle position) but no sound occurs when the pickups are tapped with a screwdriver whilst the guitar is amplified.

The pups in question are a pair of lipstick pickups; I've not found a wiring diagram that perfect for the guitar and pups I want to use but I think I've found a decent approach = though I'm open to corrections.

Ive prepared an attachment which narrates the work done so far and has images / details for my approach. I would appreciate someone with experience giving me so feedback.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1xnxCBT … sp=sharing

Hope to hear from you guys soon.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7125
    edited November 2020 tFB Trader
    First thing to do is reverse the wires at the jack, where you are shorting the signal to earth. That should give you some output.

Then you need to tidy the pickup wiring, remove the extension leads and go back to wiring direct to the switch, it'll make everything so much tidier.

I haven't really examined the rest, try that first,
  • DudeskiDudeski Frets: 0
    edited November 2020
    Hi Steve,

Thanks so much for your contribution.

Would you mind elaborating on your suggestion to reverse the wiring at the jack - do you mean swapping the position of the white and bare wires on the lugs? Only because I believe it's current configuration conforms to almost all diagrams I have seen on the internet, so I would love to better understand how you feel it is presently causing a problem.

Yep, my wiring needs to be MUCH tidier. I think I will try wiring back to the switch once I've figured out how to get an output. Might resort to buying a new soldering iron or even putting it in more experienced hands - but would like to try and do it myself first.

Thanks again!
  • RobertWRobertW Frets: 148
    I'm no expert, I've wired up about 5 guitars in my whole life. The couple of times when I've tested them after wiring and they've been completely dead it's been because the live and earth at the input have been the wrong way around.
  • Thanks Robert,

Definitely something to consider!

Could I ask a favour? I've included an image of my soldering at the jack plug in this PDF: 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1xnxCBTFdEseG_z14czutIGN-dHiW3tBc/view?usp=sharing 

It's on page 4. Would you mind taking a quick look and seeing if you think they're wired the right way or not?

Thanks again.
  • RobertWRobertW Frets: 148
    I honesty wouldn't know by looking at it, the only way I can wire a guitar is to find a diagram online, copy it, number everything and go from there, like I said I'm no expert, but the 2 times I've had a DOA it's been because I've got the input wires the wrong way around. It's a really easy fix, just un-solder them and re-solder them the opposite way around. I can't solder for crap and even I could probably do it in 5 minutes, if I didn't count the time I spent swearing at it. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7125
    tFB Trader
    Yes you have the earth wire connected to the tip and the signal connected to earth. Swap then over. Together with the foil on the pickguard this will short everything and is the reason you have no output.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Swapped them over and I now have an output when I tap my pickups! Thanks guys!

Will continue work on mounting the pickups and string it up then give you guys an update. Much appreciated.