Likely best order of dirt pedals?

What's Hot
scarry67scarry67 Frets: 144
Can't afford a guitar so gone on minor eBay pedal splurge. What order should I try first for Palmer comp, Boo OD, Radial Distortion and incoming Dunlop Fuzz Face? (Radial Chorus and Joyo Trem to finish lineup...)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• dindudedindude Frets: 8625
    I always go low gain to high gain as I think they stack better this way and give more usable options. Exception to this is fuzz first, before everything.

So I would go Fuzz > Comp > OD > Dist > Chorus > Trem 

I'm sure others would do something different.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 18304
    tFB Trader
    I agree with @dindude

Unless you want to regulate the volume of your pedals in which case put the comp after the dirt, or you want to have the dist very saturated, but still have a big volume jump when you kick the OD on in which case put it after the dist.
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 23145
    I'd go fuzz > distortion > od > compressor.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 74393
    dindude said:
    I always go low gain to high gain as I think they stack better this way and give more usable options. Exception to this is fuzz first, before everything.

So I would go Fuzz > Comp > OD > Dist > Chorus > Trem 

I'm sure others would do something different.
    No, I would do exactly the same for the same reason - although I tend to stack overdrive and distortion by EQ, middy to scooped, although in general that's often the same as low to high gain.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• scarry67scarry67 Frets: 144
    No consensus (as perhaps expected) but Fuzz first then...
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8625
    Well 3 out of 4 pretty much agree.......
    Yes, posted same time as ICBM but he appeared first!
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2460
    All on at once so it doesn't matter!

Seriously, though, what dindude, monquixote and ICBM said.
  • Dave_Mc said:

And me.

But I'm a right knob, you won't wanna listen to me.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    A guy on UG actually did one record all his pedals on at once (seriously... like about 20 of the darn things). Sounded awful. :))
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16657
    I was watching a Gary Clark Jr thing earlier and wondering how he got his big fuzz sound on Numb. The interviewer asked him about this and he said (IIRC) 'I just hit everything with a red light' ( whilst looking at his pedalboard obviously!).
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    Dave_Mc said:

And me.

LOL I can't believe someone gave you a wisdom for that (it wasn't me, honest >:D< ). That's almost like an honorary facepalm :))
  • MattGMattG Frets: 170
    actually i really like putting low gain OD's and boosts in front of fuzzes, especially the more heavy modern sounding fuzzes as that gives some fantastic sounds that are just huge and for lack of a better word apocalyptic!
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12319
    Hmmm, I thought it is normally putting Comp first, then a boost which goes into the Fuzz ?
  • Dave_Mc;289915" said:
    ThePrettyDamned said:

Dave_Mc said:

And me.

LOL I can't believe someone gave you a wisdom for that (it wasn't me, honest >:D< ). That's almost like an honorary facepalm :))
    I know, I feel quite proud. Also, because the advice concurs with others, it's like an 'up yours' to them too!

The correct answer is to spend a few hours swapping around until you've got a sound you're happy with. But I like running an od into distortion.

If you run my distortion into the overdrive, even set to low gain, it sounds horrendous, but I've heard a distortion into a clean boost sounds much better.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I know, I feel quite proud. Also, because the advice concurs with others, it's like an 'up yours' to them too!

The correct answer is to spend a few hours swapping around until you've got a sound you're happy with. But I like running an od into distortion.
    LOL. And yeah, pretty much.
    Bloody eBay Fuzz Face doesn't work! Alas, will need to return to seller: order of pedals now a bit academic...
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74393
    scarry67 said:
    Bloody eBay Fuzz Face doesn't work! Alas, will need to return to seller: order of pedals now a bit academic…
    You have got it plugged in the right way round? The jacks are reversed.

:)

Speaking from personal experience when one of my pedals wasn't working at a gig ;).

I only worked it out when back home and testing it the next day, there was nothing wrong - until I tried connecting it into my pedalboard exactly as at the gig, and found one of the patch cords wouldn't reach to the correct jack :D.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Tried variety of jacks/leads. Inside wiring looked far from factory fresh; seller seems fine about it.
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2587
    Generally low to high gain, and fuzz first if you're using a fuzz face (this is more to do with circuit limitations than sound). IMO fuzz usually sounds better with something lower gain running into it to tighten up the sound, so if you're using something like a muff based fuzz I'd say the low to high gain rule still applies
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!