Vintage style machinehead query

VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4972
edited November 2020 in Guitar
I know this is probably a silly question, but in vintage style machineheads you sometimes see a hole in the casing, as in my HB Tele:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/190954836@N04/50575717451/in/dateposted-public/

Presumably this is just for lubrication access - or does it facilitate adjustment with a hex key? 
I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 25006
    edited November 2020
    It’s definitely just for lubrication - the hole lines up with where the worm meshes with the gear.
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 10019
    edited November 2020
    They shouldn’t need lubrication though. Grease runs the risk of them gumming up and oil could run into the tuner holes and ruin the wood.

If they’re decades old and neglected, take them off and use the holes to flush solvent through, followed with a small amount of fresh grease. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74494
    Grease is the right thing to use and if it’s proper mechanical engineering grease - not substitutes like chap-stick ;) - it won’t ‘gum up’.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4972
    Thanks guys...I assumed it was for lubrication but thought it was just worth checking that I wasn't missing a trick 're an adjustment I was unaware of. 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)