(Another) Hercules Wall Hanger Question - Mounting Screws & Plugs (Solid Wall)

What's Hot
breadfanbreadfan Frets: 383
Those of you who are using Hercules Wall Hangers, did you use the included screws & plugs to mount them? Or something more robust?

The included ones don't look too sturdy to me but I'm most definitely a DIY novice.

I want to mount two hangers on a block wall, so plastic rawlplugs should be fine.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Personally I used my own fixings, (corefix) as I mounted mine to a dot and dab wall. They hold extremely strong and securely.
    I’ve also installed hangers on block walls in the past and I used fisher duo power plugs. If they’re lightweight blocks I’d recommend not using hammer drill setting.. just take your time and work your way up through drill bit sizes. If they’re heavyweight blocks you can be a bit more aggressive.
    I’ve also hung them on stud walls too but always drilled directly into a stud rather than trusting any plasterboard fittings.
    My Youtube Channel - Vintage Jazz, Blues & Country lessons;

https://youtube.com/@alexfarranguitar

https://instagram.com/alexfarranguitar
  • Did you read the other thread? 

Short answer, no...
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I have three Hercules hangers, have used all the supplied fixings. No issues at all. 
    I had one hole, not into the masonry. It went into the lime mortar and the rawplug was loose. I removed the rawplug, put some adhesive in there, put plug back in and no worries.
    I know what you mean. I thought the the raw plugs were a bit flimsy, but how heavy are guitars?........ it’s not like we are fixing the Wife to the wall. I have to work a Saturday to buy her chocolates
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I have 5 Hercules hangers fixed to a block work wall. I didn’t use the supplied fixings as I thought they looked a bit on the small side. I went with longer, ‘chunkier’ fixings.  

I don’t have expensive guitars but for the extra couple of seconds to drill a bigger hole, I thought the piece of mind was worth it. 
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5229
    edited November 2020
    In my experience guitar hangers don’t not require over-engineered heavyweight fixings and the ones supplied with the hangers should do the job fine, no need to overthink it. Obviously if the hanger is going directly into plasterboard though, you should use plasplugs. 

When a guitar is on a hanger all the weight is pulling directly downwards at 90 degrees to the fixings, so they are hardly stressed at all. It’s not as if you (or your guitar) are trying to pull the hanger directly out of the wall in a straight line is it! 
    260+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/