Converting power supply back to 9b batteries.

What's Hot

Can anyone give me some pointers on converting a JHS Drum Synth back to 9v batteries. 

The previous owner converted it from 2 x 9v batteries to a modified power supply with a jack socket on on the end. 

He added two jack sockets on the front so he could run  it into another outboard jhs Synth (powering both). 

As you can see from the pictures the power supply is a bodge not too comfortable plugging it in. 

Is there an easy way to converting back to the original outlay. 

The normal layout is one output socket to the front which also engages the power from the batteries when a jsvk socket is plugged in   
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14795
    edited November 2020
    The cleverest solution would be to convert to switchable powering. i.e. Battery driven unless overridden by a mains supply connected via a switching socket.

It would help to see a wider view of the Drum Synth internals.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • Thanks, I know it will hard to diagose from the pictures. Gutted as I had two and kept the one I thought was in better condition. 

• ICBMICBM Frets: 73102
    The last photo is extremely useful as it proves that the two batteries are simply connected in series to give an 18V supply, not a split-rail +/-9V - even though the trace is perilously close to the no.5 solder pad for the black wire!

Essentially all you need to do is fit two new battery clips connected to those four pads - making sure the 4&5 pad has one from each clip and not the red and black wires from the *same* clip (there is a reason I know this ;) ).

It looks to me as if pad 3 has a trace that runs along to one of the white wires that go to the input jack - and would be connected to the ring terminal, turning on the batteries when a plug is in it - but unfortunately that part of the PCB is in shadow and I can't see clearly.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Perfect, will get some clips ordered tommorow and let you know how I get on.