How can I get rid foistyness out of amps and cabs??!

What's Hot
riffpowersriffpowers Frets: 348
I borrowed a really great old fane loaded "white" cab from one of my mates who had nowhere to put it.
The "foisty" smell of it meant that I ended up having to take it out of the house again and give it back as it was making the room smell bad!
The old wem dominator I have could do with a freshen up too, although it's not as bad.
I know that wood has a tendency to soak up smells, especially if they've been kept in garages and practice rooms.

I wondered if anyone has found  way to freshen old foisty amps up a bit ??!!!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• KoaKoa Frets: 123
    Just a thought....baking powder helps bad smelling trainers so might help a cab if sprinkled inside then hoovered out after a few days
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JohnS37JohnS37 Frets: 358
    Burning candles always works for me, but the smell will keep coming back for a while whatever you do.
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 7430
    Vicks vaporub will alleviate the problem, and unblock any nasal issues at the same time!
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • donbotdonbot Frets: 382
    edited November 2020
    Wrap the whole thing up with one of these inside: https://www.wilko.com/en-uk/neutradol-super-fresh-gel-odour-destroyer/p/0182715 for a day or 2.
  • donbot said:
    Wrap the whole thing up with one of these inside: https://www.wilko.com/en-uk/neutradol-super-fresh-gel-odour-destroyer/p/0182715 for a day or 2.
    Harmful to aquatic organisms??! That looks like it’ll do the job !!
  • prlgmnrprlgmnr Frets: 4081
    donbot said:
    As long as you don't use it on a bass.
    12reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • prlgmnr said:
    donbot said:
    As long as you don't use it on a bass.
    Bdum crash !!
  • Clean it thoroughly,  and more importantly dry it. Find some wood shavings or sawdust and wrap them in newspaper; leave them in for two days. Next, cook some kippers and put them on a plate in the bottom of the amp. Within a week the foistyness will be almost  completely masked by the overwhelming stench of rotting fish.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • gusman2xgusman2x Frets: 935
    A good clean down with white wine vinegar should kill most of the bacteria/mould.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DodgeDodge Frets: 1492
    Seal it in a big bag with a bowll of vinegar. I've bought lots of gear from smokers, this helps massively.
  • CMW335CMW335 Frets: 2099
    Used the word "foisty" all my life but this is the first time I have ever seen it used in written form!!! Baking powder should help, I used that for a very smoky guitar case in the past
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 2000
    edited November 2020
    Let wet dog sleep near amps. will overpower the smell. much more potent than any frebreeze or glade rubbish. 
  • ZappleZapple Frets: 98
    @riffpowers did you ever have any success? I've got a cab I need to de-foist!
  • GoFishGoFish Frets: 1780
    If anyone wnts some cedar shavings for long term smell repelant, pls let me know - I have loads. I've also got Bicarbonate of Soda but I'm not sure about sending it through the post in an envelope.
    Ten years too late and still getting it wrong
  • SporkySporky Frets: 30210
    GoFish said:
    I've also got Bicarbonate of Soda but I'm not sure about sending it through the post in an envelope.
    Put it in little ziploc bags first. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PeteBoPeteBo Frets: 63
    Had to read this just to find out what "foistyness" was.

• OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 11994
    tFB Trader
    PeteBo said:
    Had to read this just to find out what "foistyness" was.

Interesting ... haven't heard that word since my grandparents passed away ... was common for older folks to use the term for 'old and mouldy smelling' stuff, though in an old Isle of Wight accent it came over more as 'fowstey'.  
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• StratavariousStratavarious Frets: 3828
    edited September 22
    Thanks AI…

The word *foisty* has an interesting etymology. It is derived from the Middle English word *foist*, which means "to break wind" or "foul-smelling." This, in turn, comes from the Old French word *fist*, meaning "flatus" or "wind," itself rooted in the Latin word *fistula*, which referred to a pipe or tube and, later, a passage of air.

Over time, *foisty* evolved to mean something stale, musty, or smelling unpleasant, commonly associated with something that's been shut up or neglected for too long. While not as commonly used today, it still holds connotations of a disagreeable smell, particularly in Irish and British English.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7406
    a three week old Kipper
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

The word *foisty* has an interesting etymology. It is derived from the Middle English word *foist*, which means "to break wind" or "foul-smelling." This, in turn, comes from the Old French word *fist*, meaning "flatus" or "wind," itself rooted in the Latin word *fistula*, which referred to a pipe or tube and, later, a passage of air.

Over time, *foisty* evolved to mean something stale, musty, or smelling unpleasant, commonly associated with something that's been shut up or neglected for too long. While not as commonly used today, it still holds connotations of a disagreeable smell, particularly in Irish and British English.
    The Scottish old timer's equivalent expression, and perhaps also Northern Irish, is "foosty" or "fusty".

See my cure for smelly amps and cabinets that has worked pretty well: