How can I get rid foistyness out of amps and cabs??!

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• ZappleZapple Frets: 98
    edited September 22
    BillDL said:
    Thanks AI…

The word *foisty* has an interesting etymology. It is derived from the Middle English word *foist*, which means "to break wind" or "foul-smelling." This, in turn, comes from the Old French word *fist*, meaning "flatus" or "wind," itself rooted in the Latin word *fistula*, which referred to a pipe or tube and, later, a passage of air.

Over time, *foisty* evolved to mean something stale, musty, or smelling unpleasant, commonly associated with something that's been shut up or neglected for too long. While not as commonly used today, it still holds connotations of a disagreeable smell, particularly in Irish and British English.
    The Scottish old timer's equivalent expression, and perhaps also Northern Irish, is "foosty" or "fusty".

See my cure for smelly amps and cabinets that has worked pretty well:
    Lynx Africa - hahahaha. I’m not sure that’s an improvement! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BillDL said:
    Thanks AI…

The word *foisty* has an interesting etymology. It is derived from the Middle English word *foist*, which means "to break wind" or "foul-smelling." This, in turn, comes from the Old French word *fist*, meaning "flatus" or "wind," itself rooted in the Latin word *fistula*, which referred to a pipe or tube and, later, a passage of air.

Over time, *foisty* evolved to mean something stale, musty, or smelling unpleasant, commonly associated with something that's been shut up or neglected for too long. While not as commonly used today, it still holds connotations of a disagreeable smell, particularly in Irish and British English.
    The Scottish old timer's equivalent expression, and perhaps also Northern Irish, is "foosty" or "fusty".

Good show Bill ,I’ve never heard of Foisty but definitely heard of Fusty 
    I would have put Foisty in the same  class as Feisty .
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 9018
    edited September 22
    Zapple said:
    Lynx Africa - hahahaha. I’m not sure that’s an improvement! 
    My semi-acoustic was very attracted to the amp after she caught a whiff of the new and improved scent.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BillDL said:
    Thanks AI…

I only knew "fusty" and think it is probably the more standard spelling/pronunciation. "Foisty" isn't in the online Collins and in Mirriam Webster it is described as "dialectical" and "an alteration of fusty".  Fusty is included in both dictionaries and not described as dialectical.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3531
    edited September 22
    Foosty round these parts means mouldy or rotten. Musty or fusty would probably be the word I’d use where the OP uses foist.
  • Okay I had this problem I bought. Marshall I think it was a VS80  2 x 12 stereo chorus 
      It was awesome but the smell of mould was terrible . I put it out in the sunshine for 2 days 
      Not much help I then got some of that batiste dry shampoo , sprayed it all inside and on grille & speakers & left it for a day , then brushed wiped it off . Better but still not perfect .

i then got some incense cones . I put it in my boiler /storage room and placed the cones inside the back  lighting them and leaving them while I watched tv . After about a week with the incense cones it was cured . So I’d advise  Leave in sun / dry shampoo &  burning loads of incense in it .

afterwards I got it to a level where I could leave it in a room where  I sleep  which. I’d never have been able too do with the smell of mould 
  • CatthanCatthan Frets: 391
    edited September 22
    I've battled with this and have progressively gone to buying newer and newer amps for that reason alone. 

My best solution was to re-tolex if the amp was a keeper, otherwise sell. Had this a lot with old Marshalls and I just rehoused the amp completely. then I sold lol..

problem seems to gets worst in new built homes. or the previous homes I lived in were foistier