Best cheap compressor?

2»

Comments

• samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471
    DOD Milkbox...they are cheap and they are great!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10343
    shady said:
    I still like my Marshall Ed the Compressor for the reasons you just mentioned.

joeyowen said:
    Yep Marshall ed is a good cheap comp for sure
    This gets my vote too
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • RichardjRichardj Frets: 1538
    I have one of the Behringers (the DC9, essentially a copy of a MXR Dyna Comp) and it is actually pretty good.  I have however decided that I don't need a compressor so if you are interested........
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2587
    The DynaComp definitely has its own sound.

You could probably get a clone of an Orange Squeezer for not a huge amount of money
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
  • FezFez Frets: 573
    I also use a Marshall Ed which is great but I have two gripes. 1, Then knobs, they are fiddly and it's impossible to see where they are set for a bespectecled person like me. 
    2, If you to put velcro on the bottom you have remove the rubber from the bottom.

These gripes apply to all the Marshall pedals which is a shame because they are all great sounding pedals.
    Don't touch that dial.
  • DarnWeightDarnWeight Frets: 2573
    Just about to whack my Pigtronix Philosopher's Rock in the FX classifieds section, if you're interested.  It's optical, it'll do transparent and mega squish, plus you can use it as a dirt pedal with the 'Grit' toggle on.  There's a review with a demo vid here.  I'll try and get it listed later with a few photos, but PM me if you want more details in the meantime.
    YouTube yak-about regarding all things alt/indie/post-punk/noise/etc >>> HERE
  • PauloPaulo Frets: 65
    The Biyang is a great pedal. I have the tonefancier version which is the larger cased version of the Baby Boom. I would recommend either. It is quieter than my boss cs3 and is more transparent only achieving the squish as you approach the max setting.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31586
    A MIJ CS2 is pretty cheap and utterly fabby

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• I have to say (and I'm sure I'll get blasted for this) I thought the Boss CS-3 was pretty good. You can pick them up for dirt cheap these days as well, given that there is a super abundance of them and a whole lot of competition.

However, might I recommend the digitech istomp? if you have an iphone they are incredibly cheap, even from new (£45), and all the models (bar one) are free. There is a nice dyna-comp model and an even nicer "studio compressor" model. And then you have a huge number of delays, pitch shifting, drive, modulation and reverb if you decide compressor is not for you.