Best cheap compressor?

JohnnysevenJohnnyseven Frets: 938
I want to get a compressor pedal, I was following the other thread but recommendations seem to be on the pricier end of the scale. Can anyone recommend me some cheap compressor pedals? I prefer the not very squishy, hardly notice it's on, smooth out the sound type of compression. Thanks.
My trading feedback can be seen here - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58242/
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• shadyshady Frets: 252
    I still like my Marshall Ed the Compressor for the reasons you just mentioned.
  • MXR dyna comp? i managed to get a nice smooth sound out of mine without killing my tone, simple to use and only about 65 quid new
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4026
    Yep Marshall ed is a good cheap comp for sure
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3307
    Coda Musoc had a used EHX Black Finger yesterday. 
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3307
    *music*....
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    They get a slating from some (who may have had them conk out on them perhaps) but Behringer have a few compressors that are 'inspired by' more expensive standard pedals. 

Have a think about Nobels too. A decent low-to-mid price brand if hard to track down at times.  

• gjonesygjonesy Frets: 148
    @Beexter has a dynacomp going for £45 in the classifieds
  • exocetexocet Frets: 2065
    Is building your own a possibility? There are plenty of good kits out there including some that feature the all important "blend" control.
  • BeexterBeexter Frets: 643
    edited July 2014

gjonesy said:

gjonesy said:

I've also got a Marshall ED-1, mint condition that you could have for £33 delivered....
  • JohnnysevenJohnnyseven Frets: 938
    I've had a dyna comp before but it wasn't for me. I'll look into the Marshall.
    My trading feedback can be seen here - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58242/
  • JohnnysevenJohnnyseven Frets: 938
    I'm a bit haphazard with a soldering iron so pedal building isn't for me.
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    I'd recommend an orange squeeze type pedal if you want transparent ... poodle pedal parts

Also the Mooer Yellow Comp is supposed to be based on the Diamond Comp - which has a great reputation.

The Joyo JF-10 isn't supposed to squish too much
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
  • JeremiahJeremiah Frets: 658
    I also like the Marshall. It will sound obviously squished if you turn the compression right up, but at more gentle settings can do a fairly good job.
  • frankus;289867" said:
    I'd recommend an orange squeeze type pedal if you want transparent ... poodle pedal parts

Also the Mooer Yellow Comp is supposed to be based on the Diamond Comp - which has a great reputation.

The Joyo JF-10 isn't supposed to squish too much
    I'm thinking of getting one of these to buy, and I know you're quite a fan so I thought I'd ask, have you got any tweaks to the circuit you love? I was thinking clean blend mostly, but you're more experienced than me...
  • Someone was selling a Route 66 in the classifieds which has a really nice compressor on one side and a decent TS overdrive on the other side. I'm a fan of it and you get 2 decent pedals for the price of one.
  • +1 on the Marshall Ed. 
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8626
    The biyang baby boom compressor is very good for very little cash. Basically a Dyna Comp style with less noise.
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719

I'm thinking of getting one of these to buy, and I know you're quite a fan so I thought I'd ask, have you got any tweaks to the circuit you love? I was thinking clean blend mostly, but you're more experienced than me...
    The Orange Squeeze?( as I think the Joyo and Mooer are SMD)

The Orange Squeeze is a pretty subtle compressor - I wouldn't bother with a blend, I prefer a 1n60 diode to the one they recommend... I think using some tantalum caps can help (I'll see if I can find the part numbers).

Basically there's an interaction between the 2n5457 matched transistors and the 4558..

I think it's a great design for not modding but nailing. I think Jon Patton mods it with a fine control pot on the trim pot, so the bias trim (10k) has a 2k pot attached for tuning when you change guitars..

But importantly, this'll fit in a 1590a. :)
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
  • DarnWeightDarnWeight Frets: 2573
    The EHX Nano Soul Preacher gets a lot of bad rep for excessive noise, but dial down the internal trimmer to a reasonable level (they're jacked up high out of the box) and it's no noisier than any other compressor.  It's based on the Orange Squeezer, I think.  If you're after subtle and not overly boosty on the cheap, it'll do it easily, and it's very well voiced...retains your highs really well.
    YouTube yak-about regarding all things alt/indie/post-punk/noise/etc >>> HERE
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16657
    Someone was selling a Route 66 in the classifieds which has a really nice compressor on one side and a decent TS overdrive on the other side. I'm a fan of it and you get 2 decent pedals for the price of one.
    they do the comp side by itself now, the Comp 66 I think. Not particularly cheap new but they seem to pop up on eBay around the £50 mark.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell.