Are these nickel or chrome tuners?

VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4972
edited November 2020 in Guitar
I'm going to order a set of  Wilkinson 15:1 ratio 6 in line deluxe vintage 'kluson' style tuners for my HB TE-52 NA 'Tele' but looking at the tuners on there, and I know some of you will think I'm daft not to see the difference, but I'm honestly not 100% sure if these are nickel or chrome - pic link below - I think these are chrome - what do you guys think?  The rest of the hardware is chrome.

It's just that when I hold them up against a nickel set they look 'chromer', but then I compare to a chrome set and they look a bit more nickel. 

https://www.flickr.com/photos/190954836@N04/50575854492/in/dateposted-public/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/190954836@N04/50575717451/in/dateposted-public/

I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7343
    tFB Trader
    Chrome I think.
  • Not easy to tell from the pictures but I’m 75% sure they’re chrome.
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 32391
    Look like chrome to me. 
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30358
    Does it matter, is there a big difference between the 2?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74494
    Chrome I think, but how it looks can sometimes be affected by the lighting.

If the rest of the hardware is chrome - which I think it clearly is - then I'd get chrome anyway.

Sassafras said:
    There can be. If it's too extreme it can look quite odd on the same guitar.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25109
    ICBM said:

If the rest of the hardware is chrome - which I think it clearly is - then I'd get chrome anyway.

Sassafras said:
    Agreed.  I don't like to mix the two, but I don't mind on vintage-style Strats and Teles, because it's the norm.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30358
    There was that thread a while ago about nickel being a carcinogen.
    There again, I shouldn't think eating chrome is a very good idea.
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4972
    Thanks guys, appreciate your input. I'll look again tomorrow to take it downstairs where there's more light but as all the other fittings are chrome it probably makes sense to go chrome anyway.  Funny thing is, I can normally tell but was struggling with these. 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    Philly_Q said:
    ICBM said:

Sassafras said:
    Agreed.  I don't like to mix the two, but I don't mind on vintage-style Strats and Teles, because it's the norm.
    Which is another reason I wasn't sure - I know it's only an HB but as it was intended to have a vintage vibe I just wanted to stick with the look of what it had. 
    edited November 2020
    Today's natural light is dull but having held these up against other chrome objects in the house, I'm still not sure as they seem to be a little 'browner' but it could be a trick of reflected light.  If anyone here has a HB Strat or Tele with the vintage look 6 in line tuners, please do chip in with your thoughts. 
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15276
    In the OP photographs, the tuner buttons and string trees have the shiny, blue-black tinge of chrome whereas the posts and gear housings have the matt, yellowish look of nickel.

Conventionally, the electroplated finish is built up in layers. Copper on steel, nickel on copper, chrome on nickel. Thus, it is possible to gently dissolve away the chrome layer to expose the nickel.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    edited November 2020
    In the OP photographs, the tuner buttons and string trees have the shiny, blue-black tinge of chrome whereas the posts and gear housings have the matt, yellowish look of nickel.

Conventionally, the electroplated finish is built up in layers. Copper on steel, nickel on copper, chrome on nickel. Thus, it is possible to gently dissolve away the chrome layer to expose the nickel.
    Interesting observation and could be why I've been struggling to tell the0 difference (no question, the trees are definitely chrome). 
    edited November 2020
    Played safe as all other fittings are chrome and just ordered the chrome Wilkinson set from Amazon.