Where to get material for making control cover plates for a Les Paul?

edited November 2020 in Making & Modding
I have a Gibson Les Paul Special that I bought 45 years ago. The original control plates got damaged at some point long ago and I had replacements made from stainless steel sheet. These are very nice but if possible I'd like to replace them with something closer to the original.

I don't think that I can get direct replacements as I'm not sure the cavities on this are the same as an other guitars. I'd certainly buy them if they would fit.  I'd be happy to make some but I have struggled to locate the material.

Does anyone know where I could get some 2.5mm, single ply, rigid, black plastic? Dark brown would do at a push.

TIA
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• PhilKingPhilKing Frets: 1592
    It sounds like you have a single cut, if there are 2 cavities.  Also, what year was the guitar made?  The 55 Single Cut reissues have a different switch plate to other Les Pauls, but the control plate is the same.  I think there are some plate makers who do sell them  If it is a 55 reissue, the original plates are brown plastic.
  • edited November 2020
    Thanks Phil. Yep, it's a single cut with two cavities. It was bought in January 1975 so I'm guessing it was made in 74.
    The cover for the pots is a rhombus with rounded corners.I also have a Standard and the cover on that is a similar shape but it doesn't fit.
    The switch cover for the special is racetrack shaped.
    I bought one new in 1974 but traded it for a Custom the year after.  I kept seeing mine when I was in Bradford as it had a small chip in the front about 2" behind the treble side of the bridge.  I bought another one about 10 years ago.  Both of mine have the goof rings around the pickups.  I will try a couple of the regular LP covers on the controls, because I thought they were the same (you have to orient them correctly to fit).  The switch cavity is that shape because they used the right angle switches, rather than the short switch).  There are guys in the UK who will make them for you.  I can recommend Axion Custom Works (https://www.axioncustom.co.uk/).  Glen is great and has made me some really custom pieces, so if you can send him your ss ones, he will copy them (or you could draw around them really carefully).
  • I tried the standard cover again tonight - all ways around and I couldn't make it fit. You've got me wondering now though. I may take them off again tomorrow and try again in case I'm going insane!
    Thanks for the info on axiom. I didn't know of them but I'll definitely be in touch with them.
    I'm glad I asked on here now!
    I just checked mine and a standard 1 ply black cover matches perfectly, so I think you should be good.

• Thanks for the help. I tried mine again and they don't fit. It's only a midges but the plate won't sit flush in the recess. The standard plate is just a tad too large on two corners. If all else fails I can get a couple of standard plates and trim them down using the steel ones as templates.