NGD - Gretsch G5570

What's Hot
CirrusCirrus Frets: 8563
edited November 2020 in Guitar
I don't normally do new guitar day posts, but this is a model I've been wanting for a few years. Actually picked it up about 3 weeks ago but it was buzzing on the low frets. It's just back from the Little Guitar Shop in Brum nicely set up with some lifted frets put back in place and now I'm letting myself get excited about it.

It's a Chinese Electromatic, 2004, and honestly there's stuff I'm planning on changing - the "mudbuckers" are pretty woolly, so I'm probably going to stick TV Jones Filtertrons in it (or something else..?). And I think one of the mud switch caps could come waaay down in value for a more gentle mellow option. But it plays really well, the neck feels great, and to my tastes at least it looks incredible - the finish goes from kinda dark as in the below photo through to sparkly emerald green depending on the light. And it's reassuringly heavy without being silly.

1reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FuengiFuengi Frets: 2851
    That's really very lovely. 

I've got a 5410 in the same colours, Cadillac Green? Have been tentatively looking at a jet as I quite fancy one. 

Congrats. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8563
    edited November 2020
    Fuengi said:
    That's really very lovely. 

I've got a 5410 in the same colours, Cadillac Green? Have been tentatively looking at a jet as I quite fancy one. 

Congrats. 
    Yeah, Cadillac Green, maybe a bit more sparkly than some of the current green finish options (which I also love tbf)? 

How does the 5410 differ from the 5420? I've got a 5422 you can see on the stand in the background...
    My bad, mine is a 5420, not a Rat Rod 5410 (Gretsch numbers!).

The Rat Rod is slightly smaller body, not hugely different though. I played one in Andertons which was lovely and another on PMT Portsmouth which was meh.

Were you particularly looking for a 2004 model?

• thefezthefez Frets: 131
    Damn, that's pretty. 
    It's a sort of limited run, I think - they did a 6-series Elliot Easton signature, which was cosmetically close to this one but with an extra 1/2 inch scale and more expensive filtertrons. Then at the end of 2003 they moved production to China, re-christened it the 5570, and built them with cheaper hardware until 2006 (or thereabouts).

I'm not exactly sure how they differ from the current Electromatic Duo Jet beyond the mud switch and pickups - I think these aren't weight relieved like the current ones are? Someone who knows what they're talking about might be able to correct me there.

I nearly bought a 5420 back when I got my 5422 - it's just the thinner body felt more comfy over my shoulders, I guess because I was quite skinny at the time (lockdown has mitigated this haha). The 5420 is more girthy tonally though!
    I find the 5420 super comfortable. @TheMarlin gave me lots of good advice on how to get it playing better.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 7024
    Awesome man! Good looking guitar that. 

Also what chair is that?! I need something like it with retractable arms!
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B077S72426/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

'tis this one. It's pretty good for the price, but I don't think the foam inside is going to last forever.

Put these in as an experiment this afternoon and I love them in this guitar, they're staying put! Great jangle/chime on cleans, yet really girthy and thick with distortion.

It does raise the question of what to replace them with in my 5422... 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom