Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Electric guitar confession

What's Hot
CrankyCranky Frets: 2633
edited November 2020 in Guitar
I don't think I really know how to play electric guitar.  I mean, I know the fretboard pretty well, my technique is okay.  But I see people riffing on YT, they look so inspired, they seem to be making shit up on the spot and it sounds good, it sounds song-ish.  I hear people going off at a guitar shop and I think, that's cool, I never would have played that.  In fact, I'm kinda too chicken to try out electrics at a shop because of this. 

When I sit down with an electric, I usually end up playing someone else's song half assed or I just endlessly noodle, practice some triads and pick sweeps, then call it a day.  I kinda feel like I have been playing my electrics like acoustics all this time.  Acoustic was/is my first love, but I do wanna kick some ass on the electric sometimes.  I think I'm particularly stuck on what good electric rhythm guitar is supposed to be beyond the same old power chords.

How do you all do it?

(ps, I did not grow up liking EVH and most of that 1980s sound.  That kind of stuff was never my inspiration, and I sometimes wonder if that's what separates me from a lot of the YT and electric guitar world.)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 74494
    That's just like me. I'm not really an electric guitarist, and I don't ever play riffs or 'normal' lead guitar parts - I'm basically a rhythm guitarist who plays electric and acoustic guitar. I use chords, strummed and picked arpeggios - although I can play melodic solos as well. Despite that I've more often been the only guitarist in a band, than the rhythm guitarist in a two-guitar one.

My inspirations as a guitar player were never guitar heroes - although my very first was Ritchie Blackmore, I pretty soon figured out that was not how I think about music when I play or how my hands want to work. I actually play more like Neil Young, Pete Townshend, Peter Buck and a whole host of minor names you've probably never heard of because they're not 'virtuoso' guitarists.

For me, the key was to start writing and playing my own songs - or initially, parts for someone else's songs who didn't play electric guitar. That allowed me to move on from playing half-arsed versions of other people's songs to fully-arsed versions of my ones . I've never learned anyone else's guitar part perfectly in my life, even on the rare occasions when I've tried to do a better interpretation than usual.

If you think that means I've never played covers you would be completely wrong . But a long time ago I realised that playing covers perfectly accurately only impresses other musicians - everyone else just wants to hear the song performed in a way that sounds good - and if anything, if it's very different then they're more likely to find it interesting.

Don't be intimidated into thinking there's a right way to play an electric guitar, or it's a different instrument from an acoustic - it isn't, it has the same number of strings and they're tuned the same way. I play electric quite like it's an acoustic and often an acoustic quite like it's an electric, I don't see any great divide between the two and I can play almost everything I've ever played on both.

And I have somewhat belatedly come to like the music of Steve Vai, but that's not because I want to play like him - and it doesn't bother me in the slightest that I'll never be able to, any more than I could write a symphony. There is no requirement to do so to enjoy any types of music, it's all good.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 12reaction image Wisdom
  • mark123mark123 Frets: 1357
    you are 100% " me" i've had vintage stuff , prs stuff , budget winners stuff , changed pick ups , bridges , amps etc instead of just learning to play the fking thing i piss about with it !
    Hence where i am ! .bedroom guitarist who knows half intros to loads of songs !,and i am a bag of shyte !.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12886
    Nothing weird about it. Learn to play a bit then get obsessed with buying and selling gear : )
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Play in a band or a few bands jamming, writing songs and rehearsing them over and over again then play live. That's where I did most of my learning about tone, technique, timing and when I was at my most creative and developed “my” style and sound.

It's been 30 years or so since I last played in a band but you don't unlearn. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • It's an evolutionary process and we all evolve in our own sweet way. These days, I just try to be true to myself and leave the judgmental stuff to other people. And don't listen to those other people! :-) 

But I went through all sorts of journeys into so many blind alleys before I ended up where I am now. I've come to realise that following my own muse and not constantly trying to justify it to myself in the light of other peoples opinions is the approach that suits me best. 

I now think I'm a great electric guitarist. I play music I like, make noises that I really like (some of the time) and the list of things other guitarists can do (electric or acoustic or classical) which I cannot do is very, very long indeed. 
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30358
    Don't try to emulate other people. Develop your own style.

• grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3494
    I’ve been playing 26 years, still only know one solo(smells like teen spirit). It’s just not my thing. I grew up on 90’s grunge and have always listened and enjoyed the riff and melody of the overall song than the shreddy stuff. 

As such I’m an ok rhythm player, I know my limitations and embrace them.  I suck at guitar but have a great time doing it. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • FezFez Frets: 577
    What has helped me is playing to backing tracks, while it isn't the same as playing with other people it is great for getting some songs under your belt. I never like to just learn the intro riff to a a song I always prefer to learn a whole song. 

I agree whole heartedly with the other posters.

My Achilles heel is instrumental pieces, I really must knuckle down and learn Samba pa ti or Riders in the sky though I prefer the Outlaws version to the Hank Marvin instrumental.

Don't touch that dial.
  • chotu495chotu495 Frets: 356
    I’m in a similar place.

Used to learn parts when starting out (mid 2000’s) from tab books and magazines, but rarely the whole song through.

Now, I rarely play other peoples stuff as I can see some of the shapes on the fretboard that I have learned will work together, and sound good. I’ve just transitioned into this by learning CAGED shapes and some basic scale shapes.

Picking a guitar up daily helped me a lot. Both acoustic for fingerstyle stuff, and electric because its easier on the fingers than acoustic.

I don’t like flashy solos, which is good cos i’d not be able to play them. Blues has largely passed me by.

Hang in there long enough and it’ll come to you  :)
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2988
    edited November 2020
    ICBM said:
    That's just like me. I'm not really an electric guitarist, and I don't ever play riffs or 'normal' lead guitar parts - I'm basically a rhythm guitarist who plays electric and acoustic guitar. I use chords, strummed and picked arpeggios - although I can play melodic solos as well. Despite that I've more often been the only guitarist in a band, than the rhythm guitarist in a two-guitar one.

My inspirations as a guitar player were never guitar heroes - although my very first was Ritchie Blackmore, I pretty soon figured out that was not how I think about music when I play or how my hands want to work. I actually play more like Neil Young, Pete Townshend, Peter Buck and a whole host of minor names you've probably never heard of because they're not 'virtuoso' guitarists.

For me, the key was to start writing and playing my own songs - or initially, parts for someone else's songs who didn't play electric guitar. That allowed me to move on from playing half-arsed versions of other people's songs to fully-arsed versions of my ones . I've never learned anyone else's guitar part perfectly in my life, even on the rare occasions when I've tried to do a better interpretation than usual.

If you think that means I've never played covers you would be completely wrong . But a long time ago I realised that playing covers perfectly accurately only impresses other musicians - everyone else just wants to hear the song performed in a way that sounds good - and if anything, if it's very different then they're more likely to find it interesting.

Don't be intimidated into thinking there's a right way to play an electric guitar, or it's a different instrument from an acoustic - it isn't, it has the same number of strings and they're tuned the same way. I play electric quite like it's an acoustic and often an acoustic quite like it's an electric, I don't see any great divide between the two and I can play almost everything I've ever played on both.

And I have somewhat belatedly come to like the music of Steve Vai, but that's not because I want to play like him - and it doesn't bother me in the slightest that I'll never be able to, any more than I could write a symphony. There is no requirement to do so to enjoy any types of music, it's all good.
    freaky !  Thanks you’ve just saved me typing all that out from my own viewpoint and experience too
    (Apart from the Vai thing)

also, I find that playing good rhythm acoustic makes you a different electric guitar player, often on timing and clarity that I bet makes you sound quite good and even when you play your stuff in the shops, compared to what most people normally hear - keep on doing it !

I mean look at Neil Young - great guitarist, electric and acoustic, brought into the super band of its time of CSN to add the Y,  and yet pretty much all his songs are in Eminor with the same sort of patterns and arpeggios.  Yet he’s great.   
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Couldn’t agree more with all the above.

I have been playing on and off since my teens and am still crap. But found that playing some rhythm in a covers band helped my confidence and ability/timekeeping, so would definitely suggest that. It also taught me not to play (ie when I am on my own, I tend to play constant rhythm, rather than spaciously).

Finally, I recently had some lessons that taught me some modes and to mix up major and minor chords.

All in, I have improved more in the last 18 months than 18 years - so it can be done !!

But likewise, I watch those YT vids and just don’t think I will ever be that skilled or intuitive.That said, I really like writing my own grungy and minimal backing tracks (can’t sing, so no top lines) so am pleased to be to accomplish anything.

If you can play acoustic, then you can play electric...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28397
    I always refer to myself as a hack guitarist. Sloppy, poor technique, inability to learn stuff, zero theory knowledge. 

However, I enjoy playing at home, and I can impress any non-guitarist.

Hate playing in shops though. Rarely do it. Very rarely ...
  • sev112 said:

also, I find that playing good rhythm acoustic makes you a different electric guitar player, often on timing and clarity that I bet makes you sound quite good and even u inquest when you okay your stuff in the shops, compared to what most people normally hear - keep on doing it !

I mean look at Neil Young - great guitarist, electric and acoustic, brought into the super band of its time of CSN to add the Y,  and yet pretty much all his songs are in Eminor with the same sort of patterns and arpeggios.  Yet he’s great.   
    Likewise, I find it very inspiring to know that plenty of amazing musicians (eg Neil Young) strip back their efforts to relatively straightforward ideas.

I also forgot to mention that I loathe trying out guitars in shops or even taking them in for setups; as I cannot seem to play infront of others (in a band ok, but not on my own).

I think there is an intrinsic public expectation that if you even pick up a guitar you should be a good player and qualified to do so. Not true...
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 15430
    edited November 2020 tFB Trader
    Fez said:
    What has helped me is playing to backing tracks, while it isn't the same as playing with other people it is great for getting some songs under your belt. I never like to just learn the intro riff to a a song I always prefer to learn a whole song. 

Many players know many riffs but can't play the whole song - I call it the 'all right now' principle - Most of us can play that riff - But if you had to play the whole song (not the solo) tonight with your mates band, live at a gig/party, could you do it ?
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3362
    Best thing i ever did was start to play with others, we meet mostly once a week and do our own stuff, as long as it gets very loud at some point we're smiling, it's great fun

I'm mostly into rhythm too and love big open chords and ambient sounds, I'd like to play a bit of lead well but I'm clueless

If i didn't do this I'd pick it up even less 
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    A few months ago I had a customer visit the shop to try a few guitars - He started playing some nice chords, inversions, with additional walking style bass lines - Never played a single note lick - I found it interesting to listen to and started chatting with him - He was self taught - He doesn't play in a band - But what he did was always play along with the radio or various CD's - He use to pretend he was in the band and played along to support and/or embellish the song - He learnt many variations of accepted song structures, ie V1, 11, V, 1 etc - Never played 6 string chords - always melodic style inversions - Very tasty 

Take a simple song with a simple chord structure like 'Knocking on heavens door' and see how many interesting ways you can play it that supports the song 

I find certain songs, that have what is pretty much a unique chord structure, interesting to play along with - ie Girl from Ipanema or dream a little dream - Just play the chords and they are so unique to that song that you can tell the song from the chords alone
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74494
    One thing that’s important to remember about playing in shops is that you’re not playing music, you’re testing gear. You should be listening to how the sound responds to your playing, dynamics and how you adjust the controls etc, not the note sequence - if you concentrate on playing a ‘piece’ you’re not learning as much about the gear as you could be.

I never normally play anything recognisable in a shop - or very long, an improvised solo or a few chords in sequence is long enough to hear what’s going on... then adjust, repeat, adjust, etc. It also won’t give anyone else there enough to ‘judge’ you, if you’re worried about that. (OK, I’ll admit to sometimes playing little snippets of known pieces just for fun, if it’s appropriate, but no more than that.)

From having worked in shops a lot, you can usually tell when a customer has gone from listening to the gear to listening to themselves... or worse, showing off to their mates or trying to impress the shop staff. Don’t do that. Or sing :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 10reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    ICBM said:
    One thing that’s important to remember about playing in shops is that you’re not playing music, you’re testing gear. You should be listening to how the sound responds to your playing, dynamics and how you adjust the controls etc, not the note sequence - if you concentrate on playing a ‘piece’ you’re not learning as much about the gear as you could be.

I never normally play anything recognisable in a shop - or very long, an improvised solo or a few chords in sequence is long enough to hear what’s going on... then adjust, repeat, adjust, etc. It also won’t give anyone else there enough to ‘judge’ you, if you’re worried about that. (OK, I’ll admit to sometimes playing little snippets of known pieces just for fun, if it’s appropriate, but no more than that.)

From having worked in shops a lot, you can usually tell when a customer has gone from listening to the gear to listening to themselves... or worse, showing off to their mates or trying to impress the shop staff. Don’t do that. Or sing :).
    I'm 100% with you on that - especially my bold markings - I never play a well known song in the store for that reason - I might play around with the notes/chord, ie Albatross, but in a very very loose arrangement, with no worries about 4 to the bar timing etc, so it is almost influenced by, but not copied
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    ICBM said:

That’s very much like my own experience. 
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• StratNutStratNut Frets: 48
    edited November 2020
    OP: "...they seem to be making shit up on the spot..."   That's an intended illusion.  When you see rock/blues guitarists doing that they are drawing on their 'mental card index' of licks and phrases and stringing them together.  I can do it.
    I grew up loving the blues and playing in bands and over years copied licks I liked from various players like the three Kings, Peter Green, Jeff Beck, Paul Kossoff, etc. You then realise that most are variations on a theme, using the same notes, so you can then make up your own licks using others, perhaps with timing variations. The twelve bar blues cycle, say the chords of A, D and E in the key of A, gives a great foundation for deploying your lick library as you know what chord comes next and what licks might go with that. I hope that helps! 

Here's an example, me demonstrating a guitar and 'making shit up on the spot' (apparently...)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6H5DfdQ73XM