Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Strings.....I wonder....

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• sev112sev112 Frets: 2988
    jaymenon said:
    I thought Optiwebs are Elixir's thinnest ever coating?

It’s a bit like condoms, the manufacturers are trying their best, but it just doesn’t feel the same ... ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 7024
    Heh I never gave it much thought. 

When I do/did go to stores to check a guitar out, I was always more concerned with any general fit and finish issues/workmanship/quality. 
    If it passes those I’ll plug it in, though its not often I’d play music.. more like playing each note, listening to dead spots or sustain issues, bending/choking etc. 

I’ll plug it in, make sure the pickups are working and everything sounds ok. 

I dont know if I would notice a difference between nickel strings. But when I put a set of elixirs on an esp one time, I didnt like them much at all. Sounded very dark. 

The only easy day, was yesterday...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30358
    I'm not really fussed about new strings on electrics as long as they're not rusty and they stay in tune but I do like fresh strings on acoustics for that nice bright lively jangly sound they give you.
  • BlueStratBlueStrat Frets: 1018
    is anyone really so tight they'd be bothered about the cost of a set of strings?
    it's like buying your guitar a pint every now and then
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 32391
    BlueStrat said:
    is anyone really so tight they'd be bothered about the cost of a set of strings?
    it's like buying your guitar a pint every now and then
    I switched to Nanowebs and saved a fortune, but I do have particularly corrosive sweat. 

I get four gigs out of a set of Nanowebs, and about three quarters of a gig out if Ernie Balls. 

I don't mind the sound of them and love the slippery feel, but I do have a quite legato playing style.