PRS knobs

What's Hot
Hi,

Are there any similar knobs to PRS ones that don't cost £15 each?

I've had a look on eBay and while I quite like the style, I don't need £30 worth of knobs on a Harley Benton PRS copy.

Cheers for any suggestions :-)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15281
    Crazyparts.de does wooden “lampshade” control knobs. These are only marginally less expensive than the official PRS part.

By now, you would have expected somebody to have produced affordable copies.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I thought this thread was going to be about something else entirely!
    11reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • donbotdonbot Frets: 382
    Hmm, I assumed this was a PRS owners thread. 
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Tall_martinTall_martin Frets: 255
    edited November 2020
    Sorry about the misleading title.

Those Crazy parts knobs are on ebay, for £16+£7 delivery! Each!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hailwood-Madagascar-Rosewood-Lampshade-Knob-Bird-Inlay-Fits-Prs/143812115611?hash=item217bdebc9b:g:WFMAAOSwAzVcfoJ1 ;

They are nice, but the guitar they are heading for is doesn't need quite that level of craftsmanship 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74500
    Have you played a PRS with them?

You may rapidly go off the idea...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • This mostly prompted by moving my guitars onto wall hangars.

My Harley Benton PRS copy hangs next to my McCarthy.

Mostly I just have gone and volume set to max on both guitars. 

It's just about the looks ☺️
    If it was me I would fix the problem by putting normal knobs on the PRS :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited November 2020
    ^ Exactly!

Gold speed knobs would look *so* much better - particularly the nice slightly darker ‘bronze’ colour PRS used to use.

And wouldn’t have that horrible slippery but lumpy feel of the lampshades either...

The HB might look better with black ones though.

• When you play the PRS out, you should wear a T-Shirt saying 'My Other Guitar's a Harley Benton'.

When you play the HB out, the T-Shirt should be '..and Knobs Don't Matter'.
    I sometimes think, therefore I am intermittent
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Sevenof9Sevenof9 Frets: 194
    Didn’t expect the substance of the thread to be about caps :)
    Defintely agree with the original PRS controls
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 20606
    Sevenof9 said:
    Didn’t expect the substance of the thread to be about caps :)
    Defintely agree with the original PRS controls
    I think dentists refer to them as crowns...
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7349
    Everyone loves a push/pull PRS knob... 
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 14266
    edited November 2020
    I like the lampshades but the thing I really love about PRS is how the pickup rings and pickups are a perfect fit for each other. On some Gibson and Fenders including, or sometimes especially, the Custom Shop guitars that are fitted with humbuckers, it's a case of “mind the gap”. You can tuck your sandwiches in the gap between pickup and mounting ring on some.

I also like the newer square bobbins that PRS use on their open coil humbuckers, it's this fine attention to detail that sets PRS apart.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom

• I might try to mount these on a flat knob.

Something a bit different
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Sorry I thought this was another thread where we had to defend our love for the brand. Lol
    2reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • In the interests of balance, I love the lampshade knobs. Like many pieces of PRS hardware, they’re well thought out; between Strat and Gibson Speed Knob size - which makes volume swells ‘work’ really well in terms of the diameter working with the taper of the pot. I also like the look - they’re an elegant update on the Speed Knob.

Obviously the price of them is ridiculous.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • PonchoGregPonchoGreg Frets: 764
    edited November 2020
    The price of PRS parts in general is insane. £15 a knob, £40 for a jack plate and socket, etc. I get that of these are parts they make themselves, presumably in the us and in small quantities, but £52 for a switchcraft toggle is taking the piss!

(And yes, I'm just miffed because I'd like some clear lampshade knobs )
    Click here to see me butchering some classic solos!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    In the interests of balance, I love the lampshade knobs. Like many pieces of PRS hardware, they’re well thought out; between Strat and Gibson Speed Knob size - which makes volume swells ‘work’ really well in terms of the diameter working with the taper of the pot. I also like the look - they’re an elegant update on the Speed Knob.
    Do you grasp the knob, or roll the side of your hand against it? I do the second, and I find the lampshades awful - they’re both slippery and lumpy, so they don’t turn smoothly or accurately. Speed knobs are far better, so are Strat knobs. The only ones I can think of that are worse are Gibson bonnets - no option but to grasp those, they don’t turn properly otherwise... but they’re the only thing that looks right on some guitars, so they have to stay! (eg SGs)

• ICBM said:
    Do you grasp the knob, or roll the side of your hand against it? I do the second, and I find the lampshades awful - they’re both slippery and lumpy, so they don’t turn smoothly or accurately. Speed knobs are far better, so are Strat knobs. The only ones I can think of that are worse are Gibson bonnets - no option but to grasp those, they don’t turn properly otherwise... but they’re the only thing that looks right on some guitars, so they have to stay! (eg SGs)
    I like to roll - rather than grasp - my knob.
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom