Cheap-ish Drill Press for First Build

What's Hot
SpringywheelSpringywheel Frets: 945
edited November 2020 in Making & Modding
Looking to buy a drill press for my first guitar (tele/esquire) build. At this stage i'm adverse to dropping 400 quid on one right away. I simply don't have the funds.

I'd say my budget is around £100-150, but may stretch a tad. Not sure if that will get me the absolute minimum required for a decent job. 

What are you all using?  
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RolandRoland Frets: 8849
    If you’ve got a drill then I stand like this could be sufficient.

If you need to a long reach to things like drill string-through holes, then you can clamp it to the body.

Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8825
    tFB Trader
    You’ll need something with a decent throat. Otherwise you won’t be able to get to certain areas on the body that need holes drilled
  • PeteCPeteC Frets: 409
    +1 on Rolands advice above.  
    You might also find a bargain old press on eBay.  If you could stretch to £200 plus you might be able to pick up an old Fobco star or similat if you are prepared to strip and clean it.  If so it will last you a life time and do a lot more besides your guitar builds.  Good look. P
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8849
    Having bought a pillar drill I no longer use the one in the picture. If you are close to me you can have it for free.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SpringywheelSpringywheel Frets: 945
    edited November 2020
    A drill stand it is then ... I’m just having trouble finding finding one with right collar diameter. Edit: Pm incoming for roland.
  • Worth keeping an eye out on Lidl's site (the "Middle of Lidl" section). They often have the Parkside drill press on there, which is bloody brilliant for hobbyist use. It was about £70 when I got mine, but last time they had it on (about a month or two ago), it was £100.

It has a handy laser guide too, and decent speed control.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FlipFlip Frets: 68
    I bought a pillar drill for a substantial job some years back and my advice would be to extend your budget if possible - I found tons of jobs that are better done/easier ever since buying it.
  • PeteCPeteC Frets: 409
    You cant go wrong with a good second hand old British pillar drill.  
    If you're lucky you will find one locally on eBay - they come up all the time.  Fobco, Meddings, etc.  Don't be put off by the high price of refurbed machines though , which scared me off too to begin with - there are bargains to be had and a good pillar drill just makes everything so much easier to do, and they are a pleasure to use.    A beaten up old machine was probably built like a tank and just needs a bit of cleaning up to be serviceable.   These old British made drills are super accurate too.