Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Why is selling a fantastic guitar (cheap!) so difficult

What's Hot
1235»

Comments

• DrBobDrBob Frets: 3043
    p90fool said:
    "How much does it weigh?" 
    Why not add that to the advert?
    I'm selling a guitar at the moment and I must admit it never occurred to me to weigh it. 

If someone wants it for their nine year old daughter I'll think about, but other than that it's just silliness.

"How much does it weigh?"

"Less than your beer gut, why?"

:)
    Yes but equally I’m not hanging my beer gut over my shoulder which isn’t in great shape after throwing a couple of motorbikes down the road in my 20s and humping flight cases around ever since 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    If you want to sell it quick drop the price, if not hold firm. 
    The market sets the value like this. Nobody is forced to buy or sell.
    Not sure what else to say really.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • kelpbedskelpbeds Frets: 203
    Well it's sold eventually. Ebay for 870. But that wasn't before another guy promised to buy it on FB, spoke to him on the phone twice, waited for the money to land in my account. Nothing! Some strange people out there!
    Check out my Blues lessons channel at:  https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBTSHf5NqVQDz0LzW2PC1Lw
  • Hm, so it took a couple of days. Doesn't seem to be a problem. And if I were really keen to sell quickly, I'd ship to Bahrain - why not, anyway?
    Bit longer than a couple of days 2 weeks more like. And it was the people promising they'd buy it and then backing out that I thought was a total PITA. And as for sending to Bahrain nightmare if it goes missing etc..  Plus insurance on shipping isn't always what it's supposed to be. Rather not have the hassle. 
    Check out my Blues lessons channel at:  https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBTSHf5NqVQDz0LzW2PC1Lw
  • It took me 2 years to sell 2 high end Amps at a very reasonable price. Believe me, I know the pain.

:)
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4972
    edited November 2020
    kelpbeds said:
    Well it's sold eventually. Ebay for 870. But that wasn't before another guy promised to buy it on FB, spoke to him on the phone twice, waited for the money to land in my account. Nothing! Some strange people out there!
    Yay! Well done that man, congrats  as I said, all you need is one goodie. 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    Voxman said:
    kelpbeds said:
    Yay! Well done that man, congrats  as I said, all you need is one goodie. 
    Thank You! 
  • NerineNerine Frets: 2521
    The alternative to receiving inane, time wasting questions is to write the ad properly in the first place. 
    Why not just put something like the weight in there to begin with. It takes less than 2 mins to weigh it, and even less time to type it in the ad. 
  • NerineNerine Frets: 2521
    Also, without sounding abase, in direct response to the thread title, some people just aren’t going to think it’s a fantastic guitar. I’ve not looked at it but I’ve read that it’s a sunburst Tele? To me that just isn’t worth any money.

The other issue is worth and value. 

You may think it’s worth £xxx but you have investment in that guitar. Both time and financial. That, whether you like it or not, will always make you subliminally think it’s worth more than it is to someone else. 

I will always try to find a good deal. Purely because I do not trust people with guitars. I don’t trust that they know what they’re doing with them, how they’ve been treated, stored, etc. Some people aren’t careful with that kind of thing. 

I price my stuff slightly on the higher side (you’re gonna get knocked down anyway) but I know it has been looked after, cherished, maintained etc. I’ve never sold anything at a price that made me wince or regret the sale. I’d rather just keep it than let someone bend me over and take a dry run. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • All's well that ends well! Nice one man.

And good price too (even if you didn't sell it on a £1 final value fee).

Two weeks is not much in the grand scheme of things, especially if you got the price you wanted jn the end.
    Click here to see me butchering some classic solos!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Excellent - all’s well that ends well !

I think you did ok, especially considering there was a small impression on the neck. 

As mentioned on a separate thread, I looked at something ‘mint’ last weekend that had a similar neck dilemma, however was not declared in advance.

Which means I now no longer trust that dealer.
  • ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    I have sold one guitar in the last few years I think.
    I was asked the weight, ordered luggage scales from Amazon and gave the weight the next day.
    The person who eventually bought never asked the weight though.
    What I struggled with was the "how does the neck feel" questions.
  • I'm not sure all sellers are above criticism for time-wasting. I see plenty of listings in the classifieds here that feature multiple "final reductions" or frequently switch between "withdrawn" and "back up for sale". 
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5636
    edited November 2020
    I'm not sure all sellers are above criticism for time-wasting. I see plenty of listings in the classifieds here that feature multiple "final reductions" or frequently switch between "withdrawn" and "back up for sale". 
    Forum rules don't allow us to remove listings that we pull or sell, so we have to leave them up in some form, even if it's basic. Therefore, if something is no longer for sale, I have to edit a post to say that, I can't just delete it. How is that time-wasting?