Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Electric 12-strings. What's out there?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    The revelation guitars are great,  and no the new Fenders are no more fugly than the old ones, you're just more used to seeing the old one and its ridiculous headstock
    The new ones have the ergonomic and beautiful headstock of the original Electric XII. It was the Strat XII that ruined the look :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dogload said:
    The revelation guitars are great,  and no the new Fenders are no more fugly than the old ones, you're just more used to seeing the old one and its ridiculous headstock
    The new ones have the ergonomic and beautiful headstock of the original Electric XII. It was the Strat XII that ruined the look :)

You speak the truth! ;-)
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2451
    Gnaaah. I literally don't like any of those except the vintage Electric XII, and that's the thick end of £4k. The Eko Cobra has a certain rough charm but for £800? Get away.

I think whichever one I bought, I'd always be thinking "But it's not an Electric XII..."
  • KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1590
    d'Angelico do a lovely 335-a-like 12 string, around the £700-£800 mark.
    Hmmm... this looks positively Harry Sevenesque, but I actually kinda like it:

https://bid.gardinerhoulgate.co.uk/m/lot-details/index/catalog/193/lot/72376
    Sold out everywhere by the looks of it. Hmmm.
  • I picked up a 1965 Fender Electric 12 for under £3k a couple of years ago, but they seem to have crept over £3k now.

Its stunningly great sounding with a very playable 1 3/4" width nut and individually adjustable bridge saddles. Not very pretty though!!

No wonder it was used on so many great recordings of the time, even by players who played fashionable Ricky's in public.

I got a 1968 Gibson 335 12 for just over £2k last year, but its nearly unplayable because of the 1 9/16" nut. Avoid those!!
    What does everyone reckon to that Washburn in the Gardiner Houlgate auction? I confess that I'm quite tempted.
  • dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    I picked up a 1965 Fender Electric 12 for under £3k a couple of years ago, but they seem to have crept over £3k now.

Its stunningly great sounding with a very playable 1 3/4" width nut and individually adjustable bridge saddles. Not very pretty though!!

This is factually incorrect!
    :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 8078
    edited November 2020
    dogload said:
    The new ones have the ergonomic and beautiful headstock of the original Electric XII. It was the Strat XII that ruined the look
    That's effectively I'm saying, they share the ugliest feature so why would the other bits be offensive...

I'd still buy a Revelation or dano 

https://www.dawsons.co.uk/214046/danelectro-59x-12-string-guitar-vintage-cream

• If you can find one, the Jerry Jones guitars were nice. He made a few 12 string models
  • DodgeDodge Frets: 1492
    +1 for the Pacifica 12.  The stock pickups aren't great, so you should budget for a change.  I went cheap and dropped some GFS lipsticks in mine and I'm delighted.  It's got the swimming pool rout, so you could drop in some humbuckers should you wish.

I don't think it's an ugly guitar at all, in fact the Pacifica body shape is one of the nicer takes on a modern Strat.

• IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 7066
    edited November 2020
    I always thought if you are going to have a few electric guitars it’s worth having some variety - a 12 string, baritone etc. Yet I’ve never played either!
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • Gear4music do a rather nice looking Tele 12 string for £120. No idea what it's like but might be worth a punt?
    https://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/Knoxville-Deluxe-12-String-Electric-Guitar-by-Gear4music/YEK
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 20601
    I love my old Eko Ranger 12 acoustic so had a hankering for an electric 12 string a while back.
    I ended up with one of these  :lol: 

OLP Twin Neck Guitar  Guitars  Amps  Gumtree Australia
    That looks like a guitar in the process of reproducing amoeba-style.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11680
    I have one of the Pacifica 12-strings. It does what it does but it's probably the least-played of my guitars.It was bought because I didn't think that some chocolate would soothe my mood and it seemed like a good idea at the time.