Is there any way to repair this damage. NOW fixed

What's Hot
kipplekipple Frets: 357
edited November 2020 in Making & Modding
Recently got this guitar and I only saw damage after I realised the seller coveniently forgot to mention it in description or show it in the pics of the guitar before I bought it..
Is there any way to repair this at least so it does not feel as rough as a badgers..
It does not feel uncomfortable under my finger tips when fretting a note but it does feel very rough under my thumb

https://i.imgur.com/6EYNqn7.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/BlZildp.jpg
I put peoples heads in horse's beds

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 73077
    Unless you really love the guitar or it was an absolute bargain, I would send that back as 'significantly not as described' and get a refund.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • kipplekipple Frets: 357
    ICBM said:
    Unless you really love the guitar or it was an absolute bargain, I would send that back as 'significantly not as described' and get a refund.
    The guitar sounds great and actually plays really nicely apart from feeling rough just at that spot. I already had a partial refund from PayPal which made me happy so the guitar will definitely be staying. I'm just wondering if anyone has tried to deal with a similar issue.
    I'm not really bothered about the cosmetic appearence of the guitar just want to improve the feel the feel of that particular spot on the neck really 

Quite difficult. It might steam out enough to get away with just refinishing the damaged area, but my experience is that it doesn't usually work that well on rosewood. If not, your best bet is probably to build up the area with epoxy, then cut it back to shape and polish it up.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

edited November 2020
    ICBM said:
    Quite difficult. It might steam out enough to get away with just refinishing the damaged area, but my experience is that it doesn't usually work that well on rosewood. If not, your best bet is probably to build up the area with epoxy, then cut it back to shape and polish it up.
    Ok thanks. To be honest this is not something I would consider attempting myself.
    I will give it to my guy that does my repairs but I cannot get to him for awhile so I really wanted to know if it was possible to do anything at all for it. If Push came to shove and it could not be dealt with I would just play it as is but I would prefer it to feel nicer if possible

• I would build it up with rosewood dust and water thin superglue and reshape
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7127
    tFB Trader
    I've sometimes let in a sliver of rosewood to fill that kind of damage before repairing the finish with super glue.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Ok thanks for the advice. I'm hoping to get it to my repair guy soon probably this week.

• WezVWezV Frets: 16967
    I inlay a new strip or rosewood between the fret so its well hidden
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16967
    Looking at it again, it does look like its 90% compression..  so try steaming it out first with the damp cloth and soldering iron trick.   It works well unless the wood fibres are torn

Then see where you are from there.... but its actually very simple to inlay a strip of rosewood if needed.
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3310
    tFB Trader
    I'd do as the others suggested and let a piece of rosewood in if steaming won't do it
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    Before and after. much happier with way it feels now
    https://i.imgur.com/6EYNqn7.jpg
    https://i.imgur.com/JaNjExa.jpg

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • davrosdavros Frets: 1376
    So what method was used???
    edited November 2020
    davros said:
    So what method was used???
    Not a clue sorry.. I asked my tech guy and he just grinned and said 'secrets....
    It's a Really great playing and sounding old guitar and it feels a million times better plus it was cheap to repair

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JohnS37JohnS37 Frets: 355
    Great result!  Luthiers eh?
    Can you take a much closer photo like the 'before' one? It looks like an extra piece of rosewood has been fitted but I can't be sure at that pic resolution.

I have to admit I'm not a fan of repairers who won't say how things are done.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    ICBM said:

I have to admit I'm not a fan of repairers who won't say how things are done.
    I am most definitely a fan of his repair work and to be fair to him when I went to his place to pick up the guitar he was quite busy with a few customers and we only talked very briefly. I wasn't really pushing him for an answer with any detail as I wasn't actually that interested and my eyes probably would of glazed over if he told me how he did it. it was just a lighthearted exchange between us. If I had asked him and made it clear I wanted to know for real then he would of told me no doubt about it.
    Not knowing how he did it is more down to me not caring rather than him not telling me and at the time I didn't want to hold him up as he had others there besides myself. I grabbed a quick feel of the guitar and said wow that's nice how did you do that and he grinned and said secrets. I gave him his money and said I'm off as I can see your busy and I will be back in touch soon as I have 2 other guitars for you to look at and then I left.. End of...

I have been going to him for a LONG time and trust him to do a decent job. I'm nearly sixty now and have been going to him since I was about 16 years old so he must be doing something right. 
    The guitar in the pic is a battered old 1987 Kramer that was made for the Japanese market only basically a Baretta in all but name and it's not really worth that much but... I like the guitar and he took good care of it. I gave him a specific request and I told him that it didn't matter what it looked like and I just wanted it to feel better so as to keep the cost down. He improved the neck a LOT and went beyond what I asked him for . He estimated £50 at the time for the work and I left it with him and he did a fret dress where it was needed which was in quite a few spots and he cured fret sprout in several places and gently rolled the edges of the fretboard plus he made the gouged out part on side of fretboard feel much nicer and all of that cost me £45 which was £5 less than estimate so there is nothing for me not to like. He turned a really shitty feeling guitar into a great one.