NGD (self build) Explorer

New guitar days are the best, but sometimes when they're self built they're a tad more fun.  

This is my second guitar build, some people may have followed the build here - https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/187975/explorer-build-finished/p1

I picked it up this evening from the guitar tech Joseph Kaye who did the fret job, nut & set up (and also made the pickups!) and I'm so pleased with the final outcome. I dropped it off as unstrung, unwired and I'd never heard it play. When I picked it up it was fully like getting a whole new guitar. A lot of fun. 

It has a nitro finish, in oxblood, which admittedly could be better, but it'll do. The neck & body are in sapele, rosewood fretboard, Faber ABR-1, Kluson tuners and is a lot of fun to play!

0reaction image LOL 26reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• That is wicked, nice work!

And HNGD :)
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25109
    Gets a wow from me!  I like the bound body and neck - there's something very cool about a neck with dot inlays and binding, like an SG Special or LP Special.
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 20601
    Very handsome, nicely done indeed.
    Am I the only one that considers that Firebird banjo type tuners would look really cool on an Explorer?
  • FezFez Frets: 577
    Very nice well done.
    Don't touch that dial.
  • You must be very chuffed with that, lovely thing.
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 32391
    That looks awesome!
  • Thanks everyone for the compliments, I'm super thrilled with it! : )
  • EpsilonEpsilon Frets: 691
    Am I right in thinking the curve on the bottom edge is slightly exaggerated compared to a Gibson, or is it just the camera angle? Looks great either way.
  • Epsilon said:
    Am I right in thinking the curve on the bottom edge is slightly exaggerated compared to a Gibson, or is it just the camera angle? Looks great either way.
    I don't think, it was taken from plans for a 58 explorer, so in theory it should be like that, but if the plans are slightly out then this will be too haha!
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4972
    I'm really not a fan of the Explorer shape at all, but that does look very nice. Many congrats on what looks a great job.  :)
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)