Best file for fret levelling

What's Hot
longjawlongjaw Frets: 424
edited November 2020 in Making & Modding
My new Boult Flying V has some high spots on a couple of frets, as I can't get it to a tech due to COVID-19 can anyone recommend a good quality file that won't break the bank so I can tackle them myself?

Would something like this do the job: https://www.crimsonguitars.com/products/traditional-fret-crowning-3-corner-file

Or this, perhaps:
https://www.chrisalsopguitar.co.uk/shop/fret-levelling/Diamond-Fret-Leveller-File-TF019

Cheers

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7899
    edited November 2020
    Get the longer crimson aluminium levelling bar and self adhesive paper for the overall levelling.
    The smaller diamond fret leveller linked to is then useful for areas where you want fall away. 
    Then either the crowning file linked to
     or a stew mac double sided file.
    Then 600, 1000, 1200, 1500 grit paper (I use them with a piece of rubber with a groove/recess on the edge) and lastly a crimson fret rubber for polish.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • longjawlongjaw Frets: 424
    edited November 2020
    Thanks for that info @winn -@Winny_Pooh there are only high spots on 4 frets (not the whole fret, either) - so I think the leveling bar is a bit overkill!

The StewMac Fret Kisser and understring dressing file would be perfect but would cost more than I paid for the guitar, so I think I'll go with 600 and 1200 grit paper and that Crimson re-crowning tool.

Unless anyone can suggest a better alternative?
  • PeteCPeteC Frets: 409
    +1 for chris alsops stuff.   Ive bought several things from him this year and all have been excellent.    
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Another vote for Chris Alsop. I got a diamond crowning file from him the other week, works really well and leaves a decent finish.
    Wish I'd bought that fret leveller file at the same time to sort out my acoustic. 
  • davrosdavros Frets: 1376
    Cheapest option is a 600mm spirit level with some 400 grit paper double sided taped on.

The crowning file won't deal with high frets, it's for making them curved again after you flatten the tops by levelling.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11767
    tFB Trader
    davros said:
    Cheapest option is a 600mm spirit level with some 400 grit paper double sided taped on.

The crowning file won't deal with high frets, it's for making them curved again after you flatten the tops by levelling.

Either that or a bit of 18mm thick MDF with some 1/4" plate glass stuck to it (make the edge safe though) and then some wet and dry stuck to that . Glass tends to be pretty flat.

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• zedhexzedhex Frets: 198
    if you're going to do more than one fret levelling job, the best investment to make is in a Dremel ( or a good quality clone thereof). It will make much lighter work of the fret polishing. Doing it by hand is almost a recipe for tendon problems.
  • longjawlongjaw Frets: 424
    Cheers chaps, will let you know how I get on.
  • zedhex said:
    if you're going to do more than one fret levelling job, the best investment to make is in a Dremel ( or a good quality clone thereof). It will make much lighter work of the fret polishing. Doing it by hand is almost a recipe for tendon problems.
    Interesting idea @zedhex

What Dremel attachment do you use? What sort of polishing compound? 
  • Crimson guitars have a good sale on at the moment on tools.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • You will need a black marker pen.
  • zedhexzedhex Frets: 198
    zedhex said:
    Interesting idea @zedhex

What Dremel attachment do you use? What sort of polishing compound? 
    I use some generic Dremel copy I bought several years ago, and for polishing compound I use some stuff was intended for final polishing on car paint jobs. you would normally use two different compounds - one high grit paste for the initial polish, and then a final hi-gloss polish to finish.
  • Just make sure that the high frets aren't loose. If they are, they will move about when you try to level them and then spring back when the file isn't pushing down on them, leaving you back where you started. Any frets loose in this fashion need pressing back and gluing into place.

Frets can also work there way out a bit without being "springy" loose. In this case, a few taps with a soft faced hammer can reseat them.

Both of the above fixes may very well fix the high spots you are experiencing, and avoid the need for filing the frets at all.
  • KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1557
    Piece of rectangular glass, as thick as you can get it. Rather than use double sided tape (which has a *small* amount of 'give' to it), i use spray adhesive and 320 grit wet n dry as i have plenty!
    A fret crowning file (several to choose from), a fret rocker (to check frets are actually level), marker pen to indicate which frets hace been levelled, masking tape to cover fretboard, a lot of patience and about 10x the time you expect it will take. Thats what you need :)
    For smoothing and final polishing I use a selection of wet n dry up to 7000 grit and Autosol cream with the felt wheel on the Dremel.