Boss FV-500H tone loss.

What's Hot
xwolf5150xwolf5150 Frets: 183
edited July 2014 in FX
After seeing so many pedalboards with volume pedals, most of which seem to be the Boss, I decided to try one.
The tone loss is unreal !!!

Why the hell do people use this thing ?

I'm now on a quest to buy a better pedal... suggestions welcome. ( except Ernie Ball
as they're already known for
tone loss )

Ps.. anyone wanna buy a 2 day old FV500H ???? £55 inc postage.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 74393
    Just put a buffered pedal in front of it.

All passive volume pedals suck tone, even with a treble-pass cap (switchable on the EB).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    can't you just pop a buffer in front of it?
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
  • JCA2550JCA2550 Frets: 464
    It depends how deep your pockets are, Ernie Ball have listened to the criticisms of the VP series pedals and apparently have addressed these with the MVP. However, unless you can order one from the States it cost a fair packet. £175 

C.
    :-O
  • xwolf5150xwolf5150 Frets: 183
    I planned to use it in 2 situations.
    One .. between guitar and amp.
    The other on my board, which has a buffer.
    In both cases I noticed a big loss of top end.
    At first I thought my cable was to blame until I bypassed the pedal !!!!
    With the buffer *before* the pedal you shouldn't get any loss, if the buffer is good. With the volume pedal directly following the guitar you always will, since it's a load on the guitar. Even a treble-pass cap can only let more top-end through, not remove the load.

Maybe you need an active volume pedal?

Or just to set your amp for a good sound with the pedal in line and not worry about it?

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
    ICBM said: Or just to set your amp for a good sound with the pedal in line and not worry about it?
    Excellent.

Sucks to be All Those Buffer Guys.
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 10010
    Makes you wonder why nobody makes a volume pedal with a buffer built-in... Although I expect somebody has thought of it.
    edited July 2014
    Makes you wonder why nobody makes a volume pedal with a buffer built-in... Although I expect somebody has thought of it.
    They have.

The first two use non-mechanical control mechanisms too, so no pots to wear out.

Makes you wonder why people still insist on using archaic string and gear-driven pots in passive pedals, really. On the other hand true bypass makes you wonder too...

• ThePrettyDamnedThePrettyDamned Frets: 7560
    edited July 2014
    ICBM;291123" said:
    thermionic said:

They have.

http://missionengineering.com/?product=vm-pro
    Vertex have an interesting one. Well, the blurb is - it's a boost pedal, but when bypassed and with a regular 10k expression pedal plugged in, it's a unity gain volume pedal that's buffered.

When engaged, it goes from nothing up to whatever boost you want. Seems nifty but prolly expensive.

Edit

https://www.vertexeffects.com/effects/vertex-boost
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4026
    wolf5150 said:

Ps.. anyone wanna buy a 2 day old FV500H ???? £55 inc postage.
    haha! you sell it so well ;)

I have one on my board and can't says I have had many issues at all with tone loss.

I might try it later side by side to see, but really don't think it's an issue (using an ac30)

Maybe yours is dodge? Or maybe I don't have the ears I thought I had :(
  • JDEJDE Frets: 1092
    I've had a couple of the FV - not much suckage, but maybe it's my ears.

You're not using active pickups are you?
    Or comparing tone with guitar>amp (1 cable) against that with guitar>pedal>amp (2 cables)…

The second cable can be a major cause of tone suck.

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 25001
    edited July 2014
    Could you use it in the loop instead?

I use the guitar volume controls to determine the amount of drive I get from the amp and use my volume pedal after the pre-amp, as a master volume control (specifically after the chorus but before the delays in my set up).
  • koss59koss59 Frets: 887
    Shouldn't you have the low impedance one if it's going after a buffer?
    Facebook.com/nashvillesounduk/