Fender Blackguard 50 51 pickups - trying to cure 'static' sound

PNE63PNE63 Frets: 0
I have a double Esquire with a pine body and these pick-ups in them.  The guitar is wired with the original Broadcaster style of wiring ....I love how the pick-ups sound - so open and direct, but  they are very noisy- not with 50Hz hum, but with a static kind of noise.  This makes them difficult to use for quieter passages of play.  I have had shielding put into the guitar, but this hasn't resolved the issue.  None of my other electrics have this issue.  I wanted to know if this is a common problem and whether it is just part and parcel of these old pick up designs, or whether it is unusual....in which case, I would be happy if someone could recommend a good guitar tech in the Manchester area who could look over the PUPS and check the wirings sound etc...   Thanks in advance for any help/advice offered, Paul 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Hi Paul. Have you got other guitars with single coil pickups? 
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2527
    Pickguard static? Does it go when you touch something metal on the guitar and play?
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9100
    Take the pickguard off and see if the noise goes away... it could be static building up on the guard and discharging through the pickups... had it on one of my teles...
  • PNE63PNE63 Frets: 0
    brucegill said:
    Hi Paul. Have you got other guitars with single coil pickups? 
    Hi Bruce, yes I have a modern standard tele with twisted tele/broadcaster PUPS that works with no problems....

Strat54 said:
    Pickguard static? Does it go when you touch something metal on the guitar and play?
    Sometimes yes, but at other times the static remains... 

poopot said:
    Take the pickguard off and see if the noise goes away... it could be static building up on the guard and discharging through the pickups... had it on one of my teles...
    I will try that...thanks for the suggestion
  • rossirossi Frets: 1741
    edited November 2020
    I had similar trouble on a new  a Baja  tele and put a thin strip of foil between the pickguard and the control plate to earth it .It worked OK but later I discarded it as the static went away on its own .I did wonder whether its just moisture on or in the pickguard .
  • Could it be a grounding problem? Maybe worth checking the grounding of the bridge plate is sound ? The grounding solder connections to the pot(s) casing as well as the grounding wire connection to (under ?) the bridge plate. Just a thought.
    1Strat2many said:
    Could it be a grounding problem? Maybe worth checking the grounding of the bridge plate is sound ? The grounding solder connections to the pot(s) casing as well as the grounding wire connection to (under ?) the bridge plate. Just a thought.
    Thanks for the suggestion ...I will get this checked by a professional once things come out of lockdown...cheers 
    Well I have removed the pick guard...it might have made a bit of a difference, but the static is still there.  It seems to be a grounding issue as when I stand with my foot on a metal pedal (the API Tranzformer) there's no static....when I take my foot off and stand on the wooden floor, the static returns...
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15276
    edited November 2020
    Tech recommendation, this forum’s very own Mr. @SteveRobinson (subject to social distancing regulations du jour).

Obvious self diagnosis questions:
    1) How and where is the added shielding grounded?
    2) Are the pickup output conductor wires twisted together?
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.