Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

TFB’s classifieds - do you avoid selling here?

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• mike257mike257 Frets: 377
    I tried to sell on eBay recently for the first time in years. Pro audio kit, not guitars, but had a terrible experience. Three times over I had an auction won by problematic buyers, people using freight forwarding addresses to get around my "no international shipping", messing me around with payment, and got my first ever negative feedback in over 15 years old using the platform when I cancelled a sale after being screwed around. 

Put the same items on Facebook Marketplace, sold at the asking price within about 2 hours. 

I always list guitar stuff on here on the odd occasions that I'm selling, but find I get more bites on Gumtree and Facebook. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I always list things on here but have very rarely sold through the forum. I tend to list on here and Ebay and see to whoever comes first. I'd rather use this site but find that the buyers aren't always there.
  • BrioBrio Frets: 2269
    Not had any trouble shifting stuff on here. Probably helps that I am realistic on pricing for a prompt sale.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28397
    I've never sold on eBay nor looked into it, what's this £1 listing thing? is that an occasional offer they do? What's the normal cost?
  • I’ve bought and sold on here since I first came over from Musicradar (and on there before here). I’m happy to get less in the knowledge that it will nearly always be a nice easy sale (or purchase) - I know that whatever I price something at, it will certainly sell for less and equally I will always make an offer rather than just pay the asking price. To me it’s a happy place, but I do still buy and sell )very very occasionally) on eBay. I’ve also done the same on reverb but I am less comfortable there. 

When I had expensive guitars to sell it was certainly my habit to com sale through shops (especially CCGX and The Guitar Store). 

I’ve never really had any major problems with any of them, the only real problem ever was a guitar I sold that had an issue that I was unaware of but was quickly and easily resolved by a refund and profound apology to a patient and understanding buyer. 

Unlike... 

I drove a 200 hundred mile round trip last weekend to pick up a 1950s jukebox that I was assured was in good working order. When I got there it selected correctly once. When I asked him to do a different selection it failed and constantly failed from there on. It rapidly became apparent that there were other issues “oh that’s just a loose wire, easy to fix”, “oh the mech is a bit dusty”, “oh that’s just that spring popping off, just needs adjusting”, “it worked fine before we moved it”, “it’s seventy years old, there are bound to be some problems”. I genuinely felt like thumping him, obviously I didn’t. I went home without it. He had made no effort to make sure it worked properly - I’ve never had anything like that here. 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25109
    edited November 2020
    axisus said:
    I've never sold on eBay nor looked into it, what's this £1 listing thing? is that an occasional offer they do? What's the normal cost?
    It's £1 selling fees you want to look out for.  Listing fees are minimal - often free - but selling fees are a lot more hefty.  I don't keep up, but they were 10% of final value.  At one point that was capped at £75 - good if you're selling guitars - but they got rid of that.

• I drove a 200 hundred mile round trip last weekend to pick up a 1950s jukebox that I was assured was in good working order. When I got there it selected correctly once. When I asked him to do a different selection it failed and constantly failed from there on. It rapidly became apparent that there were other issues “oh that’s just a loose wire, easy to fix”, “oh the mech is a bit dusty”, “oh that’s just that spring popping off, just needs adjusting”, “it worked fine before we moved it”, “it’s seventy years old, there are bound to be some problems”. I genuinely felt like thumping him, obviously I didn’t. I went home without it. He had made no effort to make sure it worked properly - I’ve never had anything like that here. 

FFS - that’s awful, and well done for containing your anger.

I honestly don’t know what people are thinking in an example such as yours.

I once drove a 100 mile round trip to buy a guitar off of Gumtree -

‘Is there any fret wear ?’

‘Nope, no fret wear whatsoever’

’Great - see you tomorrow’

‘Well, what’s that ???’

’Oh yeah - I hadn’t  noticed’. 

Grrrrrr.....At least I got a reduction to pay for the recrown.
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 10019
    edited November 2020
    I’ve bought, I think four guitars here in recent years, all at decent to very reasonable prices, in good condition and from people nice to deal with. Sold two I think, again for a reasonable price. I’m planning to sell another soon and it will be on here first.

I’ve bought a few guitars on ebay over the years and they’ve all been priced reasonably - but I think that’s down to patience and luck. Looking at a few things recently though and many are grossly overpriced, and most are on there for many months.
  • Yamaha77Yamaha77 Frets: 77
    edited November 2020
    This place is dead in the water for sales this year as far as I'm concerned. Had better luck on eBay and marketplace. Only have to look in the classifieds at the sheer amount of for sale gear and a recent post where someone had a grand burning in their pocket. People jumped all over that. I can't even be bothered with posting pictures now unless I get a sniff of genuine interest.and even then it's quicker to email a photo than faff with Imgur etc.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 9129
    Yamaha77 said:
    ... I can't even be bothered with posting pictures now unless I get a sniff of genuine interest.and even then it's quicker to email a photo than faff with Imgur etc.
    Treating the Classified rules with contempt puts off many potential purchasers because they expect you to have a similar attitude towards them. That might be the reason why you’ve not had much success selling here.

I notice that you’ve never tried to sell a guitar or amplifier here. The forum insists that you post pictures of them. If you’re advertising a guitar or amp without pictures then you run the risk of having the ad flagged and removed. 
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • JD50JD50 Frets: 670
    If I'm selling I usually put the item for sale here and other forums first then if it's not moved I use gumtree and then ebay. Not tried Reverb yet.
    Generally positive sales & purchase on here/ old Musicradar.....
    That said i have been sold a few pedals that were either 'fine when it left me' or user just ignored me then deleted their account.
  • It's not contempt and @Roland that kind of attitude stinks. The thread is about sharing thoughts/opinions. I'm entitled to mine.
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4713
    edited November 2020
    Maybe I’m just a bit disillusioned with the classifieds here after the last week but I’m probably not gonna bother moving forward, couple of total timewasters have just annoyed me.
  • Toms_DadToms_Dad Frets: 176
    DB1 said:
    There’s something else as well - my dog is going in this morning for an operation to have a cancerous tumour removed from his leg. I’ve received two messages this morning from forum members (the only two that I’ve mentioned it to, I think) wishing him well. That’s the value of the classifieds (and the forum) - without those guitar deals being made, I wouldn’t have been aware of so many nice people. 
    Oh no, sorry to hear that. Best wishes to you and him from me and Toms_Brother, who have both met him.
  • Andy79Andy79 Frets: 888
    edited November 2020
    Anyone who thinks loading to and from imgur is too much hassle, or STILL doesn’t know how to post a photo is frankly being ridiculous. It ain’t rocket science and it ain’t hard. 
    Selling a 3 grand guitar? Show me a F•••••• photo. Not a link. 

Think I’m done. Sorry about that. Oh and focus the camera too

That last comment was more an eBay trait. Much better here usually 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • DB1DB1 Frets: 5035
    Toms_Dad said:
    DB1 said:
    There’s something else as well - my dog is going in this morning for an operation to have a cancerous tumour removed from his leg. I’ve received two messages this morning from forum members (the only two that I’ve mentioned it to, I think) wishing him well. That’s the value of the classifieds (and the forum) - without those guitar deals being made, I wouldn’t have been aware of so many nice people. 
    Oh no, sorry to hear that. Best wishes to you and him from me and Toms_Brother, who have both met him.

Thanks! Yes, he's fine. He had a few things sorted and it hadn't spread and, apart from him being tired out for a day, he's great. He's a little soldier. Thanks also to @Hattigol for the message tonight - only just seen it because I'm still working, for a change.

Nice place, this is.  <3
    Call me Dave.