Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

anyone prefer the LP custom over the standard?

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• SteveFSteveF Frets: 543
    Technically the original Bursts are Standards? And the R7/8/9/0 are made to that spec (or nearest they could)....so do I prefer a Standard over a Custom?

Hmmmm yes.
    I think they mean the all mahogany body type Les Paul Custom model (e.g. the black beauty etc), as opposed to Gibson "Custom Shop" type Standard reissues. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4972
    I think its vital I need a standard to compare and keep my custom company...now, how to position that with Mrs Voxman?!  :o

Seriously, I like Standards too...except for the awful vintage tuners. Even Jimmy Page hated them and put Grovers on his iconic LP standards. Its just that when I was looking for a LP I simply preferred the Custom feel, look, and tone. A good friend of mine had a standard, played my Custom and loved it, sold his standard, bought a Custom and has never looked back. 

Its all just down to personal taste and budget. If I had money to burn I'd love an R8, or an R7 gold top. But unless I win the premium bonds or the lottery that's unlikely to happen.  :'(
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    The Les  Paul Custom I bought (new) in 1973 was too heavy and the fretless wonderful frets were not. But the looks were seductive and it was cheap, or cheaper, as it was bought  in the USA.
    A Historic Les Paul Custom, with normal or jumbo frets, weighing 8.8 lbs (the perfect weight for a Les Paul) would be very desirable.

• I have a white 2009 custom with a mahogany board and a 2014 limited edtn that came with a rosewood board.  I way prefer playing both of them to my R9 albeit thats great.  There just seems way more 'bark' and resonance
  • Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 2336
    I prefer the look of a custom but never actually owned one. 

Maybe next year.
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4972
    This is my 1990 LP Custom in Tobacco Sunburst:

I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2161
    A friend has one and I like it. But to be honest my 83 Yamaha SG1000 is basically an LP custom. I prefer that over my Les Paul any day of the week. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PabcranePabcrane Frets: 502
    I prefer the Custom with single coils. However I don't own either, only played others.

I do have an Epiphone with Burstbuckers and s Bigsby - but that's down to the guitar being a nice player, if I had found as good a one with single coils I would have probably gotten it.
  • I prefer the Custom on looks but I've owned two and not got on with them, an R4 with P90 and Staple pickups that was too heavy and too bright, and a 2013 richlite board Custom that was midrangey in boxy, muddy way. I'd love to have one that I enjoy playing as much as my Classics.
    My YouTube channel, Half Speed Solos: classic guitar solos demonstrated at half speed with scrolling tab and no waffle.
  • LogieLogie Frets: 449
    I've always preferred the look of the Standard and although I wouldn't say no to a Custom I wouldn't pay the £500 or so premium they seem to go for. There is a 1974 Custom advertised on Gumtree at the mo for nearly £9k should any forumite feel particularly flush :)
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2228
    I prefer the look of a Custom, i've been after one since seeing James Iha play one in the pumpkins. I can't justify the price for me though.
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 20601
    I prefer the look of them, and the feel of the ebony ‘boards. I’d like to try a maple-necked one for extra snap, 
    I thought the maple neck would avoid the extra snap that Gibson necks are known for  ;)