Bridge Humbucker without the honk

What's Hot
I've been playing my self-build Strat recently. HSH, mahogany body, maple cap, 24 frets, set maple neck / rosewood board, fixed bridge.

I think it's a Dimarzio Evolution in the bridge and a ToneZone in the neck. The bridge is just too honky for me.

I remember a Tim Pierce video where he was praising certain PRS pickups for not having that nasal effect.

I was wondering about maybe the Andy Timmons AT-1.

What are your recommendations?

Thanks,
Andy
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• A good cheap option is a dimarzio paf pro

Pricey - Seymour duncan seth lover
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74494
    In an inherently bright guitar like I expect that is...

Duncan Custom Custom

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• TTBZTTBZ Frets: 3001
    Duncan Custom 5 would be good too, it's very scooped so you won't get that honk. The good thing with the Duncan Custom pickups is with a simple magnet swap you can go between a Custom Custom (A2), Custom 5 (A5), Custom (ceramic) or the unofficial Custom 8 which gets rave reviews on the Duncan forum.
  • ICBM said:
    In an inherently bright guitar like I expect that is...

Duncan Custom Custom
    I'll take a look....but rosewood board and mahogany board...it's actually quite a dark sounding guitar.
  • andyg_prsandyg_prs Frets: 67
    edited November 2020
    TTBZ said:
    Duncan Custom 5 would be good too, it's very scooped so you won't get that honk. The good thing with the Duncan Custom pickups is with a simple magnet swap you can go between a Custom Custom (A2), Custom 5 (A5), Custom (ceramic) or the unofficial Custom 8 which gets rave reviews on the Duncan forum.
    Ah....how do I decide which to go for?  To expand after doing a brief bit of research (early start tomorrow) - I do play a lot of clean, and edge of break up as well as full on "nasty" levels of gain.....current bridge is high output, which is fine, and it is good for pinch harmonics...but like I say....the nasal side - absolutely not, don't want that....I can dial in more mids of I want them.
  • Btw.....I also have a couple of Suhr pickups from Moderns long gone....an SSH+ and a Doug Aldrich I think.
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 3001
    andyg_prs said:
    TTBZ said:
    Ah....how do I decide which to go for?
    I'd probably try the Custom 5 first if it's a dark guitar, the CC is too warm and muddy for me. 
  • TTBZ said:
    andyg_prs said:
    TTBZ said:
    I'd probably try the Custom 5 first if it's a dark guitar, the CC is too warm and muddy for me. 
    Thanks -  I just expanded on my response above.  SH-14 it is....I'll start looking.....and if anyone is looking to trade for a Suhr pickup, let me know :)

• For something different you could try a dimarzio bluesbucker. It's meant to sound like a P90 but to it's not quite there. I like it all the same as it has more top end and a less tubby midrange than most HBs. Lollar imperials and dimarzio 36th annies are also good for a PAF sound.
  • andyg_prs said:
    TTBZ said:
    andyg_prs said:
    TTBZ said:
    Thanks -  I just expanded on my response above.  SH-14 it is....I'll start looking.....and if anyone is looking to trade for a Suhr pickup, let me know :)

Hang on SH5 or TB5?  Is TB the equivalent of F-spaced?
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25109
    andyg_prs said:
    andyg_prs said:
    TTBZ said:
    andyg_prs said:
    TTBZ said:

Hang on SH5 or TB5?  Is TB the equivalent of F-spaced?
    Yes, TB models are Trembuckers, with wider string spacing.  It's a little bit wider than DiMarzio F-spacing.

The pickup itself is also a bit wider than standard, so you might need to modify your scratchplate (if you have one) slightly.
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12256
    how about an HB sized P90 ?
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11726
    andyg_prs said:
    TTBZ said:
    Ah....how do I decide which to go for?  To expand after doing a brief bit of research (early start tomorrow) - I do play a lot of clean, and edge of break up as well as full on "nasty" levels of gain.....current bridge is high output, which is fine, and it is good for pinch harmonics...but like I say....the nasal side - absolutely not, don't want that....I can dial in more mids of I want them.

High output may be your problem.  That tends to lose high end and emphasise the mids.  You might be better with something closer to a vintage output.  You can always turn up the gain on a lower output pickup.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • andyg_prsandyg_prs Frets: 67
    edited November 2020
    For something different you could try a dimarzio bluesbucker. It's meant to sound like a P90 but to it's not quite there. I like it all the same as it has more top end and a less tubby midrange than most HBs. Lollar imperials and dimarzio 36th annies are also good for a PAF sound.
    Also @ToneControl ....That does sound interesting, but a P90 feels like a step too far right now....I could be wrong!  If it weren't for the expense and hassle of fitting, I'd love to try multiple options, but need to go for the safest one - which feels like the Custom 5 at the moment with its mid scoop.

The P rails also sounds like a fascinating pickup....again, with the time and the money....
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    That's like asking for a goose without the honk