Aftermarket Replacement Necks with Pre-Cut Nuts

What's Hot
jaymenonjaymenon Frets: 888
I find it interesting that companies like Warmoth etc who sell replacement necks offer the option of installing pre-cut nuts.

Logically, it seems to me that one can only cut the nut slots accurately once the strings are in place; the slots would then be cut in relation to the height of the first fret. So the nut slots would be different with jumbo 1.5mm high frets vs vintage 1.0mm high frets...

And yet companies like Warmoth offer this facility - presumably they have the knowledge and expertise to cut the slots (with CNC machines or whatever?).

But if they have the machinery and the technical expertise to cut the slots, would they not offer bone nuts?  It’s interesting that such companies tend to offer Graphtech and Earvana nuts (which are available off the shelf pre-cut).

So are they just buying (in bulk) Graphtech nuts and knowing exactly how much to take off the undersurface for their typical 10-16" radius?  10" and 9.5" being so close, I would imagine that such a nut would work for a 9.5" radius too...?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Even a precut nut will require a final finish, the slots are really only a guide for width. I recently bought a SRV neck from Northwest Guitars with a “precut” nut, have to say the finish of the neck was excellent, the only work required was a final deepening of the slots once the neck had been fitted.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • rossirossi Frets: 1741
    Buy a "used"  neck taken from a complete  guitar  from people like the stratosphere.they should have  cut nut .I have done it several time s.I must confess  though as I like a low action all my guitars except my Midtown have needed some  work .Even Fender replacement necks  only have a basic string marking nut .
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom