Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

High end Partscaster - disappointment likely?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• How disappointed you'll be depends entirely on what you expect. I've had a few put together, mostly out of curiosity. Because I didn't really know what to expect, I wasn't disappointed, usually surprised and delighted. Almost all put together at Feline (one done by Rexter), though so the quality of the putting together couldn't be faulted. 

Coincidentally, reading this thread and watching Dark, a character just said:
    Expectations lead to disappointment. "Have hope", my mother used to say, "not expectations". You might just be surprised, but not disappointed.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mikem8634mikem8634 Frets: 382
    edited November 2020
    Unless you can try before you buy, which is a bit difficult at the minute, the main issue is the ability to box back up and return a branded guitar that you have bought online and don't like, versus the individual specs that a partscaster can deliver.

For me, it's usually down to individuality and what I can learn from bolting it all together. However, I haven't had custom shop money to spend since my health took a rapid nose dive a few years ago. If I did I could more than likely find what I want without having to learn how to sand and paint and stab myself with dull chisels 

I wonder though, seeing as partscasters have got so far under my skin, whether or not I  would shun the Fanos and the Novos and just make really swish partscasters. Definitely possible.
  • RolandRoland Frets: 9129
    A partscaster is a step on a journey, not an end product. Some people buy and sell guitars in their search for nirvana. Some people make. Some modify. I guess that each group has different decision criteria.
    mikem8634 said:
    ... For me, it's usually down to individuality and what I can learn from bolting it all together. ..
    That describes where I am.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • exocetexocet Frets: 2066
    As others have said - it can be a fun / informative process but the end result may not be as you envisaged. I've done it twice now - 1st with a Strat then with a Tele. The Strat worked out very well which is why I proceeded to do a Tele as well. 
    In both cases I used high end hardware (body / neck / parts), it cost me a lot of money especially with the Telecaster because I made mistakes that had to be rectified. I agree with comments about the neck, I bought USA Custom Guitar to my spec.....however, the spec was a complete guess or rather I picked from a list of 15 or so options. I really didn't have a clue about the neck shape other than I didn't want Skinny and I didn't want "V". As it was, I liked what I got but it easily have been a different (expensive) outcome.
  • lukedlblukedlb Frets: 490
    Spend a bit more on the neck.

@Danielsguitars has made some very impressive looking (and if reports are to be believed sounding) ones for members here.

There is a school of thought that the neck plays a more important role than the body in terms of the sound of the instrument,
    Yes, spend more on the neck. 
  • I've seen a few Warmoth used necks in the UK for sale. I don't know what these guys are thinking with their pricing as it's almost worth just ordering a brand new one from Warmoth and factoring in her majesty's cut when it arrives in this country. Necks start at $157 and shipping is about $80 but obviously you can order other stuff to lighten the shipping hit. Quality is top notch.
  • jaymenonjaymenon Frets: 888
    The extra costs do add up @Yamaha77 ;

Basic: $157
    Dark rosewood fingerboard: $25
    Finish: $70-$100
    Shipping: $85

Sub-total: $352 (£264)

VAT / Duty: £70.40
    UPS admin Fee: £10

Nut installed by a tech (and slots optimised etc): £30
    Fret Dress: £30
    Tuners: £30 (basic)

Total: £404

So a neck that's ready to fit 'plug and play' so to speak at £300 or less is 25% cheaper, particularly if it's in great shape.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Not in my case

Maple/Rosewood Standard Thin Tele neck $157
    Shipping $85

$242 = £182

No Fret Dress Required
    Duty £48
    Graphtech Nut (slotted right in after light sand to round edges and base)£9
    Bottle of Tru Oil - £12
    Wilkinson Deluxe vintage tuners £18

£269

Hope that helps anyone looking at importing the a standard option.
    New Fender necks might be better value at £200-250 new but you will have to cut nut slots or replace with a Graphtech nut.

Other option is mentioned above thestratosphere
  • I may have been lucky but I had only good experience with partscasters. All partscasters I have ever had (about 6 in total) have been better than most "brand" guitars I have had or tried, including US made Fenders and G&Ls (with the exception of LSL guitars which are truly amazing).
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3413
    edited November 2020
    I've been tempted in the past as I've yet to find the ultimate guitar and there's always a mod or tweak to be done so that I get close to what I want, but I'm too coward to take the plunge on a build as I've no idea how it will turn out and sound, even if it's done by a respected luthier.

Maybe one day as what's out at there at the moment isn't quite hitting the mark and it's frustrating me.
  • BlueStratBlueStrat Frets: 1018
    If you’re confident of your requirements give it a go, Warmoth are well respected for quality builds if you choose them. 
    I’ve looked a few times but never taken the plunge. 
    Good luck if you go for it
  • TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1847
    I’m sure it’s possible to end up with something great. 

My own experience was a circa £1500 money pit and a pretty lifeless lump of strat that lacked the mojo of the CS I replaced it with.

There’s a lot to be said for making a decision based on a fully formed instrument.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • SeziertischSeziertisch Frets: 1436
    edited November 2020
    TINMAN82 said:
    I’m sure it’s possible to end up with something great. 

My own experience was a circa £1500 money pit and a pretty lifeless lump of strat that lacked the mojo of the CS I replaced it with.

There’s a lot to be said for making a decision based on a fully formed instrument.
    Combining an untested neck and body is really a lottery. For that reason you come across cheap/affordable guitars that punch above their weight and more expensive guitars that fall short.

A partscaster can match or better a custom shop, but just as easily not. Though sometimes upgrading a few bits on a cheaper, tested guitar can be the better option. 

I know a guy who got his dream Strat made by Warmoth - custom route, neck profile, finish and woods. When he got it, it was really heavy and when he assembled all the bits it sounded dead. To say he was gutted is an understatement.
  • I have put together a few Telecasters over the years. First with Warmoth parts, more recently with guitarbuild and guitarandbassbuild bodies. For me, it's as much about the process as the finished result. With the Warmoth parts I was disappointed with the outcome. For whatever reason, the guitar did not ring, and I sold it. With hindsight, I should have sold the parts separately to get as much back out of it as possible. The latest job however, with a secondhand guitarandbassbuild limba body and a Chinese ebay neck turned out great. Yes, parts guitars can be a money pit, but they don't have to be. Be patient, pick up the bits used as and when they turn up here or ebay or wherever. Put the neck, bridge and some tuners on and see if the two bits of wood work together before you invest any more money in other hardware and paint. My current project is still in bits as I'm waiting for the weather to improve before spraying. The body was £150, the neck is a Chinese ebay job again. It has a couple of blems and the frets needed a tickle, but it cost just £38. Pickups are Alegree Oldtimers, £35. Other hardware came from axesrus for about £50. Lacquer was £80 from Manchester guitar tech. An oil finish would be a much cheaper option if you are looking to keep costs down, or minimise your losses if and when you sell.
  • Hick81Hick81 Frets: 122
    I built a Strat with fairly high end parts - MJT, Warmoth, lollar’s. Got it assembled by a decent tech and within 6 months I’d parted it out and sold it all. It just felt less than the sum of its parts. But in reality it had more down to my own fickleness and wanting something else than the standard of guitar.