Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Post-Mortem Sales

What's Hot
jaymenonjaymenon Frets: 888
edited November 2020 in Guitar
Many of us here buy lots of instruments, parts, pieces of gear - the values of which are unknown to our wives/partners/significant others.

Personally, I’m now 55 years old and I realise that I’m past the halfway point in life. At some point all of us are going to kick the bucket and our partners will be left with a collection of equipment the value of which they have no idea about.

I was wondering if here on the Fretboard we could be afforded the option of preparing a list of all the gear we have with the value of each item, so that if and when we kick the bucket, we have a gentleman‘s agreement here that members here will organise the sale of the remaining equipment with 5% or 10% going to the forum and the remaining amount going to our partners...?

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• MikeSMikeS Frets: 2146
    Just print off a little sales description of your guitar and the least it should sell for, and stick it in the case of each one. That way if you croak, your wife has the option should she choose to let it go :+1: 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 11041
    Good idea but I don’t think Harry 7 has enough printer ink for that. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    15reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6938
    viz said:
    And there's enough threat to the rain forests without all that wasted paper. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jaymenonjaymenon Frets: 888
    It would be a fairly simple matter just to compile a list of all the equipment with the values in our account details here on the Fretboard. 

No paper involved

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MikeSMikeS Frets: 2146
    Well if you're going to be picky, you could always just write a description on the back on each guitar with a marker pen :3

• jaymenonjaymenon Frets: 888
    I’m happy for her to find out about my gear after I’m gone :-)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5320
    I’m being buried with my gear....
  • dallcorpdallcorp Frets: 139
    Agreed.......I have specifically designed the architecture of my Pyramid to accommodate my vast trove of guitar treasure!
    ......but it is a terrible waste.......might think about downgrading my plans to a simple (yet classy) combustible Viking longship?  
  • Really nice idea @jaymenon ;
  • SRichSRich Frets: 765
    tone1 said:
    I’m being buried with my gear....
    Don’t wish to be indelicate.....but how big is the proposed mausoleum?

"There's things I want, there's things I think I want 
    There's things I've had, there's things I wanna have" 
  • If I’m lucky enough to live to a ripe old age (I’m 65 now) then I plan to shed all my gear little by little as I get older and less capable of playing it. Although some would say that ship sailed long ago.  :)
    260+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3810
    jaymenon said:

Personally, I’m now 55 years old and I realise that I’m past the halfway point in life.

Speak for yourself.  I'm 57 and, to paraphrase Woody Allen, my life is almost a third over ;)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11978
    tFB Trader
    jaymenon said:
    I’m happy for her to find out about my gear after I’m gone :-)
    She'll have you revived simply just to have a chat about how many guitars you owned and their value

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• chris78chris78 Frets: 10236
    If I’m lucky enough to live to a ripe old age (I’m 65 now) then I plan to shed all my gear little by little as I get older and less capable of playing it. Although some would say that ship sailed long ago.  :)
    Dibs  ;)
  • If she finds out how much we paid for our stuff    ......   See post 1 above....
    Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life
    ......but aren't we cheating the future gear heads out of their potentially big score?........."Just picked up an all original 2019 Harley Benton Tele for 10,000 bitcoin!!!!! She hadn't a clue what it was worth!"

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Just moved this to the Guitars section, since nothing's actually for sale.

I like the idea, not sure how we'd do it in a way that it doesn't form a risk of getting burgled... ;)
    <space for hire>
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • bad_alicebad_alice Frets: 271
    edited November 2020
    I have a bunch of local guitar friends and we’ve all agreed that should one/some pop their respective clogs then the others will ensure that the deceased’s guitars/amps/pedals are sold - if that is the wish of the deceased’s wife (or, in my case, husband) - at prices befitting those bits of gear.
    Was it a grim chat? A bit. But we all felt better about what would happen to our collective gear should the Grim Reaper appear out of the blue.
    I’d definitely recommend it if your circumstances allow.
    Also, the chance of being murdered to death when the total cost of your gear is revealed is approximately zero. Seeing as being dead is a pre requisite of the arrangement anyway!
    Easily distracted and...oooh, look! A guitar!"
    My Trading Feedback can be found here: https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/62765/bad-alice/p1
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11726
    merlin said:
    viz said:
    And there's enough threat to the rain forests without all that wasted paper. 

If H7's whole collection came onto the market at once, supply would massively outstrip demand, and prices would plummet.