Jim Root Telecaster Wiring switch change

I want to replace the switch on a Squier Jim Root telecaster, because it's playing up, with a CRL 3 way. The switch that's in it is one of those square block switches with 8 connectors along one side. I'm not sure how those connectors map to the connectors on a 3 way CRL. Can anyone help clarify and/or how to wire it in please? The telecaster has two humbuckers (2 wires out only) through the switch to a single volume pot (ie. no tone pot). Also the volume pot is an alpha pot. Although it's full size is it worth changing it for a CRL pot whilst I'm in there because I also intend to the change the output jack to a switchgear one. All the wiring is a bit lightweight so I'm rewiring the lot with proper cloth pickup wire. 

Ian

Lowering my expectations has succeeded beyond my wildest dreams.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14787
    Squier 1234 5678

CRL 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7127
    tFB Trader
    Just use a Telecaster wiring diagram (less the tone control).

If you change to a CTS pot, you'll have to ream out the hole to 9.5mm or buy one with a "metric" 8mm diameter shaft, e.g. https://www.axesrus.co.uk/1-x-CTS-Pot-Split-Shaft-Metric-Size-p/cts59met.htm
  • Devil#20Devil#20 Frets: 1998
    Squier 1234 5678

CRL 
    Just use a Telecaster wiring diagram (less the tone control).

If you change to a CTS pot, you'll have to ream out the hole to 9.5mm or buy one with a "metric" 8mm diameter shaft, e.g. https://www.axesrus.co.uk/1-x-CTS-Pot-Split-Shaft-Metric-Size-p/cts59met.htm
    Thanks chaps. Looks like the CTS pot I have will just drop straight in. Unfortunately it's a 250k pot and I'll need a 500k pot. Usually the alpha pots on Squiers are tiny little things. This one is a full size pot. Maybe I shouldn't bother changing it (I don't know) because, apart from the pickups, everything else is coming out and getting replaced. I'll have to take the pot out to make up the wiring loom anyway. 

Ian

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14787
    edited November 2020
    Alpha pots work but wear out sooner than CTS or Bourns and I dislike the resistance track taper. 

In the longer term, an A500k volume pot is desirable. On a guitar with no tone pot, even 300 or 440k might suffice.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73077
    I would probably suggest a 250K pot on a two-humbucker guitar with no tone control, especially if it's a Tele-type construction so the guitar itself will be inherently brighter.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Devil#20Devil#20 Frets: 1998
    Thanks for the tips. A 240k pot shouldn't be difficult as I've got a few new CTS pots knocking about. 

Ian