Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Who is the lead guitarist in this clip?

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• ‘Where there’s a hit there’s a writ’ - one of the most common phrases in music publishing.

Songwriting credits have evolved during the last 25 years mainly due to technology change. Sampling, file sharing and home recording have created environments way beyond a composers and lyricists sitting at a piano.

In recognition of this, the whole publishing industry has had to understand and handle information flow that can be confusing to say the least. Disposable pop music turns over quicker now as well, hence writers and producers are more amenable to giving up points on their songs to the artists that make them hits.

To an extent, it is commerce that dictates writer split agreements and the publishers have to navigate, ensuring everyone is happy they are represented correctly.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25109
    edited November 2020
    soma1975 said:
    Is that guitarist the woman who used to be a presenter on Rock School?
    Deirdre Cartwright?  I've just googled her and she doesn't seem to have ever significantly changed her hairstyle/colour, unless she was wearing a wig.  No, I don't think it's her.
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 7249
    Philly_Q said:
    soma1975 said:
    Is that guitarist the woman who used to be a presenter on Rock School?
    Deirdre Cartwright?  I've just googled her and she doesn't seem to have ever changed her hairstyle/colour, unless she was wearing a wig.  No, I don't think it's her.
    Ah well just a thought. 

Also is Deirdre Cartwright the most British name of all time?
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25109
    soma1975 said:
    Also is Deirdre Cartwright the most British name of all time?
    It's certainly the most Coronation Street name of all time.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    I don't why but this is really bugging me now.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 11041
    ennspek said:
    I don't why but this is really bugging me now.
    Amazing that it just doesn't seem to be written anywhere. I was thinking of asking Deirdre Cartwright in case she knows. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • MikeSMikeS Frets: 2146
    Has anyone thought of just asking Cathy?, I have ;)

Let's see if she replies, and if she remembers.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12256
    MikeS said:
    Has anyone thought of just asking Cathy?, I have ;)

I thought of it, but then thought someone else would

tbh never heard of her before, was too busy with other music in the 90s, I'm very impressed with her singing and writing
  • Chris Holmes?
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2496
    Surely there’d be a mention of her in the CD liner notes?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74495
    beed84 said:
    She may well not have played on the album. It's often a completely different band who go out to do live shows if the album was recorded with session players.

Whoever it is I think she's more of a rock/metal player than you would expect from the music here - she's got some very 'rock' poses, and there's another video of the song on the Des O'Connor show where she's using a pointy-head Kramer rather than the Steinberger with the cartoon drawing.

It's a shame the picture quality from these old videos is so appalling...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• vizviz Frets: 11041
    beed84 said:
    she wasn't on the album.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • SPECTRUM001SPECTRUM001 Frets: 1662
    edited November 2020
    MikeS said:
    Has anyone thought of just asking Cathy?, I have

A colleague of mine knows Cathy very well, so I also asked her to fire a question over.

As you have said - whether she knows or can remember is a separate question !
  • LitterickLitterick Frets: 740
    edited November 2020
    Remember when the Faces were on Top of the Pops for Maggie May and they had John Peel mime the mandolin parts? Maybe the ‘guitarist’ is the singer’s friend.

Also, somebody set up a Facebook Group to find the name of the woman in the Safety Dance video. It was fun for a while, but then it became creepy.
  • Litterick said:

Also, somebody set up a Facebook Group to find the name of the woman in the Safety Dance video. It was fun for a while, but then it became creepy.

Louise Court..... just saving anyone any hassle here...
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom