Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Who is the lead guitarist in this clip?

What's Hot
the_jaffathe_jaffa Frets: 1927
https://youtu.be/K0g-Ykju6lM

I know I recognise her but can’t remember who she is and it’s bugging me now. 

Watching the clip lots has absolutely nothing to do with Cathy Dennis, oh no, not at all
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 74497
    Looks a bit like Lita Ford with her hair done differently from normal...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 25568
    Jennifer Batten?

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • No idea, but how much more 1996 could Cathy and her band look? 

The answer is none. None more 1996.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Jennifer Batten?

That would be my bet too..
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28397
    Doesn't look like Jennifer Batten
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • jhumberjhumber Frets: 251
    No idea, but how much more 1996 could Cathy and her band look? 

Indeed, although I was surprised to see a headless guitar there....surely an Epiphone Sheraton would have screamed '96 even more ;-)
  • The hair said Pamela Stephenson but it isn't. It was pretty unlikely anyway. 

Eric Jr was born in February 1996 so it's a lost year in terms of pop music for me! The year I went from being Eric to being EricTheWeary. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6464
    edited November 2020
    Looks like the drummer from The Bangles ....

EDIT: Nah ! Same haircut, but that's the only similatiry :/
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • jhumber said:

Indeed, although I was surprised to see a headless guitar there....surely an Epiphone Sheraton would have screamed '96 even more ;-)

Guitar mags spent the entire year sneering at Oasis and talking up Satriani and Vai.

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25111

It is definitely not Jennifer Batten. 

First thought was "a random person from her PR team or something who's been handed a guitar to mime on TOTP" but in fact the woman does appear to be an actual guitar player.  No idea who she is.  I even looked up who played on the album, but that was Guy Chambers and some other bloke.

• the_jaffathe_jaffa Frets: 1927
    Yeah, my googling has proven fruitless. 

I definitely recognise her but she may just be a session guitarist who has appeared on various things. 

I was sure someone here would be able to say immediately but seems not
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16667
    edited November 2020
    A bizarre thing I just read whilst trying to google this is that Dennis used to go out with Noel Fitzpatrick, the super vet, and that Toxic ( which Dennis co-wrote with Britney) is allegedly about him. 
    Bloody weird world of celebrity. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I did a google and found that Cathy Dennis also wrote/produced the Kylie hit "Can't Get You Out Of My Head". Amazing what you find out through these random threads.
  • Switch625 said:
    I did a google and found that Cathy Dennis also wrote/produced the Kylie hit "Can't Get You Out Of My Head". Amazing what you find out through these random threads.
    And co-wrote I Kissed a Girl. I suspect for that and Toxic she probably wrote them and there was an agreement that she got co-writing credits, although entirely my speculation. 
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12256

Glad I spotted the cab driver
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12256
    edited November 2020
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28397
    jhumber said:

Guitar mags spent the entire year sneering at Oasis and talking up Satriani and Vai.
    Happy days ...
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25111
    A bizarre thing I just read whilst trying to google this is that Dennis used to go out with Noel Fitzpatrick, the super vet, and that Toxic ( which Dennis co-wrote with Britney) is allegedly about him. 

Yes, my brother told me that story.  I didn't know who Noel Fitzpatrick was - I guess most people nowadays wouldn't know who Cathy Dennis is.

Switch625 said:
    I did a google and found that Cathy Dennis also wrote/produced the Kylie hit "Can't Get You Out Of My Head". Amazing what you find out through these random threads.
    And co-wrote I Kissed a Girl. I suspect for that and Toxic she probably wrote them and there was an agreement that she got co-writing credits, although entirely my speculation. 
    I heard an interview with some professional songwriter/pianist the other day - can't remember his name and I'd never heard of him before.  He was saying there's quite a complicated etiquette around songwriting credits nowadays.  When you look at new albums by, say, Beyoncé, each individual track has different producers and every track has multiple writing credits - the artist, the producers, the guys they sampled something from, everyone who made some tiny suggestion in the studio... the person who actually wrote the original tune will be in there somewhere, but they're sharing the royalties with a lot of other people.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_Q said:

Yes, my brother told me that story.  I didn't know who Noel Fitzpatrick was - I guess most people nowadays wouldn't know who Cathy Dennis is.

Switch625 said:
    I heard an interview with some professional songwriter/pianist the other day - can't remember his name and I'd never heard of him before.  He was saying there's quite a complicated etiquette around songwriting credits nowadays.  When you look at new albums by, say, Beyoncé, each individual track has different producers and every track has multiple writing credits - the artist, the producers, the guys they sampled something from, everyone who made some tiny suggestion in the studio... the person who actually wrote the original tune will be in there somewhere, but they're sharing the royalties with a lot of other people.

Noel is one of those people who pop up in odd places on TV/radio. He's a veterinary professor and not very rock and roll so seems a long way away from someone who might go out with a pop star. Although possibly more of a household name these days than Dennis is.  

I watched bits of Supervet and I tended to have reservations about how he charged people huge sums of money for cutting edge procedures on animals. I'd have to rewatch and maybe rethink but the ethics of it didn't sit well with me at the time so he seems an odd figure to me.

Back on the songs I remember listening to an interview with Lilly Allen ( and I quite like some of her stuff) and she was asked about songwriting. From what I understood she came up with some of the words and got 50% of the song writing credit. But she didn't seem to understand that other people would perceive this as her ripping off the actual songwriters. I suppose 50% of the royalties for a song recorded by a successful artist is better than 50% of the royalties for a song recorded by no one so everyone goes along with it. 
  • Philly_Q said:

Yep. It's a reaction (maybe an overreaction) to the way songwriting credits have been historically, whereby the only people who get paid are the ones who write the melody or the lyric. It stems from the fact that the industry's practices in that area date back to the days before recorded music when music publishing meant sheet music publishing, and then the early days of the recording era when dozens of different artists would record the same popular song.

During the rock era, the recording came to represent the definitive version of the song, and thus elements that used to be just part of the arrangement came to be seen as central to the song, hence things like the lawsuit over A Whiter Shade of Pale, where Procol Harum's organist claimed he'd co-written the song because he came up with the organ part that's playing in your head right now :grin: 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Whiter_Shade_of_Pale

Most of us probably do this when we think of songs we like- our memory of them is just as much about a guitar riff or a hook of some kind that wasn't necessarily written by the guy who gets the royalty cheque. 

Modern pop songwriting credits reflect this view- you can't argue that what makes a recording of a song successful is just the melody, or the lyrics. A bass line, a synth hook or a sample might be just as much a part of the song's success (or failure).

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom