Best London (or near) luthier for cutting an accurate nut to fix tuning issues?

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• SRD81SRD81 Frets: 339
    brucegill said:
    SRD81 said:
    Out north into Hertfordshire (probably too far) but Ian Allerton at guitar works does a great job.
    Have you used Ian? That’s the first time I’ve seen someone who’s not a million miles away from me! I’m near Bishops Stortford. Nearest I had was Cambridge, that was fine until I had to go back as the nut wasn’t right. 
    Yep, I’ve used Ian quite a few times too. He’s not cheap, but he is very good. I’m based in Bishops Stortford too, so it’s no distance out to Ian. Really handy as he does everything from a set up right through to a full build from scratch I believe.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 25006
    edited December 2020
    yocky said:
    Is Gibson known for churning out poorly cut nuts? Losing track of the number I've tried with first to third fret intonation issues. 
    I haven’t played any new Gibsons for quite some time - but certainly they used to leave nuts ‘way’ too high. The justification was that different players have different preferences. This, of course is disingenuous; a correctly cut nut is a matter of ‘fact’ rather than ‘opinion’.
  • Thanks @SRD81 and @grappagreen ;
    will give him a buzz soon then. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ricorico Frets: 1221
    Richmond Guitar Workshop effectively ruined a brand new guitar of mine. I wouldn't go back there. 

Feline all the way!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • tsj93tsj93 Frets: 58
    brucegill said:
    Thanks @SRD81 and @grappagreen ;
    will give him a buzz soon then. 
    to expand on my recommendation, Ian returned my 7.25 radius strat and its the most playable instrument I've ever played, he does really fantastic work