Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Just realised, I don't actually really like most of my bl00dy guitars..

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• TTBZTTBZ Frets: 3001
    edited November 2020
    AK99 said:
    Fair point.

I definitely haven't thought through the having an SG kills any need for a LesPaul argument. In truth Im probably holding onto some long-standing unspoken notion that LPs are a superior instrument, and if you have an SG, you'll still be aspiring to its bigger brother at some stage.
    That's definitely the case for me but depends what you like. I feel like a LP has a bit more going on tone-wise with more depth and clarity or something (sorry that sounds a bit twatty but I know what I mean!) - others prefer the stripped back SG approach which is a bit more of a straightforward tight midrange rock punch. This is why I think I prefer P90s in an SG as they help give it a bit more depth/character than a flatter humbucker sound. SG also feels a bit harder work to play whereas an LP is effortless for leads. I'm one of those people who doesn't like to fight the guitar. Then again an SG can be so comfy and fun to play that sometimes it outweighs the tone stuff for me. 

Sorry that probably hasn't helped much
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • AK99AK99 Frets: 1738
    I think you've probably introduced another set of 3 or 4 independent variables into an already nigh on indeterminable equation..so that's a Yes. Or maybe a No ..  :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Aria ZZ? Got a pic? :)

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

Aye - it's one of the dreaded Bluebursts. 

Sanded down the tips to repair some damage, but never got round to retouching the black.

Has a bit of a mad dog supposedly hand-wound high output Seymour Duncan Invader pickup in the bridge - makes a fairly raunchy racket :)

• ICBMICBM Frets: 74495
    ^ Perfect HarrySeven project material :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • RedlesterRedlester Frets: 1080
    AK99 said:
    Yeah - if I keep the two Fenders and the Tokai Les Paul (just in case) - I'd have six to sell, cumulatively probably worth the price  (or at least a fair chunk thereof) for a decent CS SG. 

Logically it's the sensible way to go. Just need to steel myself for the grief of trying to sell 6 used guitars into the absolute cattle-market that is the online classifieds in Ireland - and/ or prepare for the angst that comes with pricing, packaging, shipping and insuring guitars for sale to the UK or further afield in Europe
    Is there anywhere that does p/x near you? You take a massive hit obvs, but it solves a few headaches. 
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6938
    edited November 2020
    ICBM said:
    Why keep a guitar you don't really like 'just in case', when a decent SG will cover the same ground (regardless of what most guitarists will tell you, they do)... sell them all, then you should be able to buy the right SG
    AK99 said:
    Fair point.
    This is why I think I prefer P90s in an SG as they help give it a bit more depth/character than a flatter humbucker sound. SG also feels a bit harder work to play whereas an LP is effortless for leads. I'm one of those people who doesn't like to fight the guitar. Then again an SG can be so comfy and fun to play that sometimes it outweighs the tone stuff for me. 
    And this is the reason I have an 2009 SG Classic. Decent handful of neck and P90s. And superb tones, through the roof. 

I'm still managing to keep my Feline Bluescat though which is similar to a Les Paul but different enough to be just gorgeous. On every level. 
  • @AK99 The guitars that you own that you are on the fence about, was one of the motivating factors in buying them the fact that they were goodish deals?

I had the good/bad fortune to live with a total hoarder for a while, he took the tendency of buying stuff because it was a deal to extremes - he owned 3 of the same kettle, 2 of which were still boxed, all bought because they were on sale. Did you ever buy something and then a few weeks later find it for less somewhere else? Most people would think that’s annoying and move on, this guy would buy the one at the reduced price to have as a spare. And my god, the tat he bought on small ads and EBay was something to behold ...

Everytime I’m tempted by something that is a good deal but nonetheless not something I particularly have use for, I think of this guy and see some sense.
    @AK99 The guitars that you own that you are on the fence about, was one of the motivating factors in buying them the fact that they were goodish deals?
    You're right Sez, t was for sure - an interesting  guitar that I liked the look of, and wanted to try, and that came up a bit/good bit under the going rate. That was the justification in large part for most. Not in the case of the two Keepers - the Strat and the Tele - with both of which I went into a guitar shop, tried a number of different ones and then came out having bought the ones which I fell for (in both cases, far from bargains :) )

I suppose where it's ended up is that I've got to the point where I've come to terms with the fact that whilst most of them still have things which I like about them, they're not really that good. Time to draw the line I guess, and let them go - otherwise all Im doing is hoarding :)

• SeziertischSeziertisch Frets: 1436
    edited November 2020
    AK99 said:
    @AK99 The guitars that you own that you are on the fence about, was one of the motivating factors in buying them the fact that they were goodish deals?
    You're right Sez, t was for sure - an interesting  guitar that I liked the look of, and wanted to try, and that came up a bit/good bit under the going rate. That was the justification in large part for most. Not in the case of the two Keepers - the Strat and the Tele - with both of which I went into a guitar shop, tried a number of different ones and then came out having bought the ones which I fell for (in both cases, far from bargains )

I suppose where it's ended up is that I've got to the point where I've come to terms with the fact that whilst most of them still have things which I like about them, they're not really that good. Time to draw the line I guess, and let them go - otherwise all Im doing is hoarding

Because of the cost/hassle of posting outside the country, Adverts (the Irish sort of equivalent to Gumtree) has some more esoteric stuff for prices a lot less than someone might get on EBay or elsewhere, you look at it and think, oh that’s a good deal ...
  • normula1normula1 Frets: 662
    Love the blue one. Reminds me of my CS 339. I wanted one for years, came across it in the local shop, plays like a dream,  looks and sounds lovely but once I discovered its design flaw (cutaway is far too small to get my hand in it... and whilst my hands aren't Donald Trump small, they're not huge :)) I tend to overlook it now.

You're not helping norm... :)
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3494
    I’ve realised a few things these past few months, my desire to play guitar is dwindling, I only like one of my guitars. I can’t be bothered to learn owt new but do enjoy banging out old favourites when I eventually take the time to pick a guitar up. 

Not sure what to do about either to be honest but I’m not too fussed. 
  • AK99 said:
    Aye - it's one of the dreaded Bluebursts. 

Sanded down the tips to repair some damage, but never got round to retouching the black.

Has a bit of a mad dog supposedly hand-wound high output Seymour Duncan Invader pickup in the bridge - makes a fairly raunchy racket :)

Exactly the same as my old one - years ago, I had a matching bass, too. They looked great together.

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

• ICBM said:
    ^ Perfect HarrySeven project material :).
    It is indeed...often fancied another! ;)

• HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.

• LogieLogie Frets: 449
    I've only got three but I only ever play two of those. I love the look of Teles but I've never really been a fan of the Tele sound and even though mine isn't your standard Tele config it just sits under the bed. Can't sell it for sentimental reasons so it's basically a dust collector.