Drill proper clearance holes of fender bodies

What's Hot
I find this "issue" on many Fenders, basically the neck screws are NOT supposed to "bite" the wood in the body. This is preventing a tight fit between body and neck. Who else drill those holes?
Discuss!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 73077
    That's correct. I can also see you're turning the screws backwards at first to find the correct thread in the neck - this is extremely important, and a lot of people don't do this, especially if they're using a power screwdriver... it's the easiest way to strip the threads. I never use one for this sort of job.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7127
    tFB Trader
    Every time. I have a stock of 4.5mm bits just for that purpose.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • dchwhitedchwhite Frets: 182
    How funny - I was about to ask this exact question as I have a Tele project I'm trying to complete, and can't get the neck and body together without leaving about a 1-2mm gap between them. Thank you - I don't even have to ask what size bit to use!
    Stonevibe: 'The best things in life aren't things'.

Trading feedback: Previous (+18) and Current

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:
    That's correct. I can also see you're turning the screws backwards at first to find the correct thread in the neck - this is extremely important, and a lot of people don't do this, especially if they're using a power screwdriver... it's the easiest way to strip the threads. I never use one for this sort of job.
    You are right, that's a little detail but I like to do it every time. I also prefer to take my time and do it manually so that I can feel how loose/tight the screws are.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dchwhite said:
    How funny - I was about to ask this exact question as I have a Tele project I'm trying to complete, and can't get the neck and body together without leaving about a 1-2mm gap between them. Thank you - I don't even have to ask what size bit to use!
    That's exactly the risk, not being able to tight neck and body together, especially if they come from different guitars. Drill the body holes and it will be fine!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom