To Synergy or not to Synergy, that is the question. Discuss......

What's Hot

Comments

• leerocker said:
    Well 5 mins with it has justified me selling the Kemper!
    You got one boyo!
    Yes boyo. I kinda like it!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • What modules you get I'm intrigued 
  • leerocker said:
    What modules you get I'm intrigued 
    Just got a syn50 and my first module arrived today Friedman BB/BE. First impressions are very good.
  • Nice one mate haven't even looked at anything else since my be100dlx covers everything 
  • leerocker said:
    Nice one mate haven't even looked at anything else since my be100dlx covers everything 
    Can’t afford one of em mate! :)
  • @rockmonster - how do you rate the Syn50? I've not heard either the Syn50 or Syn30 in the flesh yet :(
  • @rockmonster - how do you rate the Syn50? I've not heard either the Syn50 or Syn30 in the flesh yet :(
    Yep I think it does what it says on the tin. Plenty loud enough. Big sound with the 6L6’s. Pretty well made. Got everything it needs to do the job. Great loop- it’s a Friedman so we are used to that! All round nice package I recon.
  • JetfireJetfire Frets: 1696
    leerocker said:
    Nice one mate haven't even looked at anything else since my be100dlx covers everything 
    With the cost of a syn50 and two modules, surely you'll be close to cost of a friedman? 
  • Not second hand!
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11594
    tFB Trader
    Nerine said:
    I think my only concern would be the platform’s longevity. Are Synergy going to be around in another few years? Who knows. 
    I make no speculation about them as a company, I don’t know their financials or position in the market, I make no claim of that at all. 
    But it just pops into my head for some reason. 
    Faddy is maybe too strong a term. As some others have pointed out, they like them a lot, so there must be something in it.  

I’d just be wary of a platform that isn’t that widely adopted in the grand scheme of things. 

I could see the modules changing hands for peanuts on the used market in a few years time. Maybe that’s a good thing. Maybe it’s not. Depends which way you look at it. 

Whilst the modular approach is a cool idea, it never really seems to have historically taken off in a big way, which I’m actually quite surprised about. Make of that what you will, I suppose. 

If you like the sound of it, then dive in. 
    You do realise who makes them?
    Boutique Amp Distribution , who also make the Friedmans, Soldanos, Morgans, etc etc 
    The system was designed by Bruce Egnater and Dave Friedman , and has input from Steve Fryette.
    Randall only had a 10 year license on the system, which in some ways they didn't make the most of due to changes at their parent company

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• NerineNerine Frets: 2133
    Nerine said:
    I think my only concern would be the platform’s longevity. Are Synergy going to be around in another few years? Who knows. 
    I make no speculation about them as a company, I don’t know their financials or position in the market, I make no claim of that at all. 
    But it just pops into my head for some reason. 
    Faddy is maybe too strong a term. As some others have pointed out, they like them a lot, so there must be something in it.  

I’d just be wary of a platform that isn’t that widely adopted in the grand scheme of things. 

I could see the modules changing hands for peanuts on the used market in a few years time. Maybe that’s a good thing. Maybe it’s not. Depends which way you look at it. 

Whilst the modular approach is a cool idea, it never really seems to have historically taken off in a big way, which I’m actually quite surprised about. Make of that what you will, I suppose. 

If you like the sound of it, then dive in. 
    You do realise who makes them?
    Boutique Amp Distribution , who also make the Friedmans, Soldanos, Morgans, etc etc 
    The system was designed by Bruce Egnater and Dave Friedman , and has input from Steve Fryette.
    Randall only had a 10 year license on the system, which in some ways they didn't make the most of due to changes at their parent company
    No. I didn’t realise who makes them. Sounds like they have good backing and are in capable hands, then. 

I already stated that I know nothing about them as a company. I’ve seen their gear and I’ve seen officially licensed modules for them etc, and I largely know what the deal is with the ecosystem. If it’s around for a while and it takes off, then great. I just know that historically the modular thing hasn’t proven to be widely adopted, which as I said, I find surprising because at its core it is a good idea and allows a great degree of customisation and flexibility. 

I’m in no way criticising it as a product. I don’t have any experience of it, so it’d be completely remiss of me to give an opinion one way or another. 

The Egnater and Randall stuff just didn’t really seem to make much of a dent in the market which strikes me as odd, because it is an inherently good concept with a huge swathe of benefits, so logically there must have been a reason for that. What that reason is, I don’t know. I don’t have a dog in the fight. My opinion of Synergy is one of complete neutrality. 
    I’m merely questioning why the modular format never really seems to have taken off in a big way; regardless of the manufacturer. Perhaps my comments in my original post came across a bit strong. I’m happy to be educated about it. 

To be honest I entered the thread because the concept has always interested me, but it leaves me questioning things too. 
    If it doesn’t prove to be hugely popular, (which in my mind, the modular format seems to have historically struggled with that a bit, which could also be revisionism on my behalf, which I accept and am happy to be proved wrong on) I wouldn’t want to be left with gear that ends up being a dead end with little aftermarket options and few new modules and upgrades etc. That’d be my concern. But again, the overriding argument of whether you like the sound of it is really the only thing that matters. 

• John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    Jetfire said:
    leerocker said:
    With the cost of a syn50 and two modules, surely you'll be close to cost of a friedman? 
    You can’t get a Friedman that you can change in to a Bogner XTC for £200
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • rockmonsterrockmonster Frets: 833
    edited February 2021
    John_A said:
    Jetfire said:
    leerocker said:
    Can’t afford one of em mate!
    Come on John £300! -well for a Synergy legit factory model! 
  • rockmonsterrockmonster Frets: 833
    edited February 2021
    £200 for a knock off!  

John_A said:
    Jetfire said:
    leerocker said:
    Touchet!  I didnt realise they were tickling the £4k mark... 

I am jealous of the Synergy system and would love a Syn2 for the home use. Its a shame the heads dont have a dummy load so you could do silent recording too, that would be the ultimate ! 
    John_A said:
    Jetfire said:
    leerocker said:
    Whoops. Still quite a bit cheaper than buying a XTC. 

Keep thinking about synergy stuff but gigs seem so far away :(
    John_A said:
    John_A said:
    Jetfire said:
    leerocker said:
    Whoops. Still quite a bit cheaper than buying a XTC. 

Keep thinking about synergy stuff but gigs seem so far away :(
    Buy it for fun then :) 
  • Fun? ah yes! I remember fun! :(
    Jetfire said:
    Buy it for fun then :) 
    You know, that could be a plan!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FortheloveofguitarFortheloveofguitar Frets: 4291
    edited February 2021
    Been using the Synergy and Randall rigs for the past 18 months. Outstanding gear and equally outstanding tone