Fingerstyle - Do you PIM or PIMA?

What's Hot

It's just dawned on me, I'm looking at a few fingerstyle lessons on Truefire, and notice quite a lot of people only really use PIM and the 'a' finger doesn't do much.  Even rests on the fingerboard when not much is going on.

I always learnt:-

P - EAD
I - G
M - B
A - E

I don't stick to this religiously, but pretty much, occasionally breaking the rule for an out of pattern run.

I'm wondering if the book I learnt my original technique from was a a bit traditionalist, classical based.

Either way I'm trying to learn to use a thumb pick then noticed this and started questioning my technique.  I think I'll stop thinking about it and go back to what is natural tomorrow.  

What I guess I'm asking is - is there an advantage to using 1 less finger?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• sev112sev112 Frets: 2840
    edited November 2020
    Both
    I play Clasical Gas, and in parts I just play with P, sometimes P and I, and sometimes all 4

play recuerdos de l’al hambra and you need all 4

play some John Prine and Ralph McTell and it’s PIM much of the time

• I would think that if you look outside of classical guitar there are plenty of successful players who use PIM only.  I doubt that there is an advantage to it, it’s probably more to do with individuals developing their technique (perhaps self taught) and then sticking with it.  There’s definitely a point at which PIM-only becomes limiting.
  • BahHumbug said:
    I would think that if you look outside of classical guitar there are plenty of successful players who use PIM only.  I doubt that there is an advantage to it, it’s probably more to do with individuals developing their technique (perhaps self taught) and then sticking with it.  There’s definitely a point at which PIM-only becomes limiting.

I’m not putting it down, just wondering if I should adopt it for more kind of country blues kind of stuff I’m working on, i.e. is there an advantage to concentrate on limiting the ‘a’ use.

It’s fairly easy to swap, just feels wrong.  Just weird I’ve only just noticed how common it is.
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2431
    Why is it called the 'a' finger?

I use thumbpick and three fingers, little finger very occasionally.
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8838
    Let me google that for you

P = pulgar (thumb)
    I = indice (index finger)
    M = medio (middle finger)
    A = anular (ring finger) 
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • For something like travis picking I find it easier to maintain an even rhythm and consistent note volume with PIM. For more complex things that rely less on the groove I’ll use PIMA.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2431
    Merle Travis just used P I and played things that some struggle to play with additional fingers. It's just how you are comfortable to play that matters. Forget about following unwritten rules.
  • BahHumbug said:
    I would think that if you look outside of classical guitar there are plenty of successful players who use PIM only.  I doubt that there is an advantage to it, it’s probably more to do with individuals developing their technique (perhaps self taught) and then sticking with it.  There’s definitely a point at which PIM-only becomes limiting.

I’m not putting it down, just wondering if I should adopt it for more kind of country blues kind of stuff I’m working on, i.e. is there an advantage to concentrate on limiting the ‘a’ use.

It’s fairly easy to swap, just feels wrong.  Just weird I’ve only just noticed how common it is.
    I didn’t think that you were putting it down.  I use the same approach as you ie it depends on the piece of music you are playing.  If it’s rootsy bluesy music then there generally an advantage in sticking to the simplicity of PIM, and that’s probably what the originators of the music did.  It’s what I do if the piece is easiest to play that way.  I and M are generally your strongest and most dexterous fingers, so it makes sense to use them in preference.  However, for some pieces you would need a lot of dexterity not to use A as well.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28353
    Roland said:

P = pulgar (thumb)
    A = anular (ring finger) 
    Thanks. Wondering what this was about!

What letter if you use your pinky as well?
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9811
    axisus said:
    Roland said:

P = pulgar (thumb)
    A = anular (ring finger) 
    Thanks. Wondering what this was about!

Use you little finger instead - it saves any confusion ;-)
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8838
    edited December 2020
    axisus said:

https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dedos_de_la_mano

Meñique
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • I'll use whatever is needed to play the notes and get the right sound/rhythm. One benefit of Pima over pim would be if the right sound is coming from a Richard Thompson style hybrid pick (pi holds pick, ma plays the other notes). If you don't have a Pima technique, you'll only have the m finger left. 
  • Roland said:
    axisus said:

https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dedos_de_la_mano

Meñique
    I'm used to seeing 'c' (for 'chico' apparently).
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12069
    I'm using "a" all the time
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4737
    edited December 2020
    I'm using "a" all the time
    I always have but just noticed in country blues / travis / rags etc many players don’t but it just feels miles more natural. After a slight analysis of my technique I’ve decided to just stick to the way I know.
  • Toms_DadToms_Dad Frets: 173
    Somewhere out on YouTube there is even a video of Ana Vidovic playing tremolo with only pim.  It's either Recuerdos, or possibly Asturias, can't quite remember.  I think you have to do what works for you.

• I always learnt:-

P - EAD
    I - G
    M - B
    A - E
    That's what I do if I am playing flamenco and some kinds of fingerstyle (eg Robbie Basho), but PIM if I am playing John Fahey, individual note runs/solos IM.
  • GuyBodenGuyBoden Frets: 763
    edited December 2020
    I've been using five fingers for picking since Jan, I didn't see why I should waste the little finger.

p = thumb, i = index, m = middle, a = ring, c = little

I found that this book is good for five finger picking technique:

"Music makes the rules, music is not made from the rules."
  • For me it really depends on what the picking pattern is, I use a mix.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • PIMA ...