fender 52 custom shop telecaster

What's Hot
HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 16315
Some really heavy duty prices on Reverb and EB these days

I think i paid around 1600 for my own 2014 but peeps are askin' 2500 ish for them and getting it too!

Wots going on?
tae be or not tae be
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Private sellers look at market prices on eBay and reverb and then charge the same, not realising that the majority of sellers are bedroom dealers, listing well over the odds. Actual selling prices never get published because eBay and reverb keep that between the buyer and seller. It’s the way the market is now.... list at 25% over what you expect to sell for.

That’s why this place is so much better. Folks list at roughly what they hope to achieve (give or take) and prices are realistic. It used to be like that everywhere. I guess eBay with their greedy 10%+ of every sale doesn’t help things. Facebook marketplace is decent as well and the Gumtree is scammer central. 
  • Andy79Andy79 Frets: 888
    edited November 2020
    It happening with J45s. Early 2000 models going up for2-2.5k. God knows if they are selling but they are £1500 guitars. 

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 15430
    tFB Trader
    Hootsmon said:
    Some really heavy duty prices on Reverb and EB these days

I think i paid around 1600 for my own 2014 but peeps are askin' 2500 ish for them and getting it too!

Wots going on?
    I only have to look at my stock book for 2014 to see my cost price and subsequent selling price - Then do like wise for 2019/2020 - Large price increase for new models from around £2699 to sell to over £3699 to sell, hence that will push up the used prices accordingly - Nothing really new here as such issues have gone on for the whole of the 42 years that I have been selling new/used guitars
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Don't look at Tylers on Reverb then.. Holy god, 5k plus. Actual selling price is a lot lower. 
    Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life
  • I bought a used CS Strat (via a retailer) in 2016 for £1550. 

I also bought an almost pristine DGT (privately) about two and a half years ago for £1500. 

Guitars are getting very expensive indeed....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I blame Brexit, and then Covid and the lockdowns have compounded matters.
    260+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • I blame Brexit, and then Covid and the lockdowns have compounded matters.

It's had a huge effect. Just look at the difference in prices between Feb and now!
  • Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 2336
    I still wouldn't pay more than £2000 for any Fender CS
  • I blame idiots who are prepared to keep paying the stupid new Custom Shop prices.

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5636
    I blame idiots who are prepared to keep paying the stupid new Custom Shop prices.
    Makes you wonder when the bubble will burst. 
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2527
    Whitecat said:
    I blame idiots who are prepared to keep paying the stupid new Custom Shop prices.
    Makes you wonder when the bubble will burst. 
    I'm afraid it won't. Prices from Fender since 1950 have only increased. As Mark as said here before the FCS are having a bumper sales period. I think they are assisted in part by the ever spiraling vintage prices which for 99% of guitarists are now unobtainable So its either £4k for a Custom Shop or £40k for a real '52 Tele. Now they sound like a bargain. Funnily enough I have a lot of serious vintage buying friends and those too are being snapped up like there's no tomorrow. One friend spent $250k in a week on three 50's Fenders recently without so much of a blink of the eye. All perfect examples of their type. 

In the meantime, if I were after a nice Custom Shop Tele I would be heading to those fine chaps at Peach for this beauty. Now this I consider to be a 2020 bargain....
    https://www.peachguitars.com/guitars/electric-guitars/solid-body/fender-custom-shop-52-telecaster-w-aa-birdseye-neck-used.htm
    Fender Custom Shop 52 Telecaster wAA Birdseye Neck -  Used

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25109

Joking apart, I know you've bought some pretty high-end stuff in the last couple of years and speaking for myself, I absolutely think prices have gone too high... but if I saw something I really, really wanted I might cave in and shell out £4k to £5k.

Unless the guitars simply stop selling the prices are only going in one direction.

• chris78chris78 Frets: 10236
    As above, if new prices are £4K plus, you really can’t expect to buy a secondhand one for under £2k. 
    The falling pound hasn’t helped, but Fender have a significant waiting list for any custom order so they can push prices and people will pay. I find masterbuilt prices observe, but when Dale Wilson has a 4 year waiting list and peach sell most of his guitars in days, then someone knows the market better than I do. 
    The other factor is the falling stocks of quality wood. Ash for example, especially light ash, is in short supply. That won’t help prices.
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 16315
    Think we will see Gibbo and fender price rises next year too?
    tae be or not tae be
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2504
    Prices have gone a bit nuts in lockdown as the people have returned to home hobbies and supply chains have been impacted by lockdowns. 

Being selfish for a moment. This is all great news to me financially.  

Back in 2012 to 2015 I thought that guitars would never be so affordable again. I bought a bunch, all of them used or shop b stock returns.  

They’ve all grown as investments - not that I bought as that - way beyond anything I could have hoped.   

The same with my daughter’s cello. Bought in 2014. The dealer told me that they were returning over 8pc per annum and that supply of period instruments was rapidly dwindling due to the Chinese buying them up. He’d had a guy come into his place and buy all of the period bows. The whole lot. He didn’t have anything other than modern bows. 

• HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 16315

rze99 said:
    Prices have gone a bit nuts in lockdown as the people have returned to home hobbies and supply chains have been impacted by lockdowns. 

Being selfish for a moment. This is all great news to me financially.  

Back in 2012 to 2015 I thought that guitars would never be so affordable again. I bought a bunch, all of them used or shop b stock returns.  

They’ve all grown as investments - not that I bought as that - way beyond anything I could have hoped.   

The same with my daughter’s cello. Bought in 2014. The dealer told me that they were returning over 8pc per annum and that supply of period instruments was rapidly dwindling due to the Chinese buying them up. He’d had a guy come into his place and buy all of the period bows. The whole lot. He didn’t have anything other than modern bows. 

I've done it with pedals ^  bought a shit load of Kingsley, mostly low serial numbers like 2, and 3 and 8 and so on

(5x in all under number 25 and a high 67) :)

Same with original Zendrive and recently a Lovepedal ( they are most likely tits up) PP OSB and an original USA Rat

Fetto and BJFE...some of the prices are bonkers but if you know what you are after and are willing to hang around some great bargains and investments out there,plus i get to use them too :)
    tae be or not tae be
  • The idea of them as a more affordable alternative to a vintage instrument was valid at one time, when the main factory didn't know how to build a period-correct guitar (or couldn't be bothered to) but, unless you really care about not-the-same-anyway nitro, that hook is largely gone now.

The two FCS I've bought (only one left now) came home with me because the extra money was just about justified by much nicer fretwork and by pickups and hardware more to my liking – i.e. I wouldn't have saved a meaningful amount if I'd bought a standard USA Fender, a bunch of parts and a few hours of a luthier's time.

It's impossible to imagine how the numbers could ever stack up now, but that's fine – plenty of other options, and if Fender can get £3.5-4k for pretty basic CS guitars in large numbers, hopefully it means there's more money to invest in the regular-production lines.