Squier FSR Classic Vibe 70s Telecaster Deluxe

What's Hot
I seem to remember someone bought one of these recently in purple sparkle... is that right, or did I imagine it? I can't find an NGD thread about it...
Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• racefaceec90racefaceec90 Frets: 1052
    edited November 2020
    this thread maybe 

https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/192846/nspgd-whats-purple-sparkles-and-is-the-result-of-you-enabling-wotnots#latest ;

edit i am also interested in the guitar i have to say the purple one looks great.
    i like cake :-) here's my youtube channel   https://www.youtube.com/user/racefaceec90 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • skullfunkerryskullfunkerry Frets: 4418
    edited November 2020
    That's the one! Bloody hell, I spent ages looking for it yesterday! Thanks dude

@Snags - how are you finding it after a month?

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• SnagsSnags Frets: 5694
    Me likey.

Circumstances mean I haven't spent quite as much time with it as I'd have liked, but it's had a few thrashings.

I don't mave massive experience of Squier/Fender stuff, but the neck feels very similar to the Classic Vibe bitsa Strat I've got. It's all lacquered, but it doesn't feel sticky/grippy to me in any way (not that I'm a speed merchant).

I'm normally more of a Gibson scale-length kinda guy: my two most played guitars are an LP and a Starfire, both of which are 24.75" but the Tele doesn't feel massively different. Bit longer, bit narrower - I think the slight narrower feel balances out the slight change in fret distance.

Soundwise it's quite bright, but without that beheading edge of a single-coil Tele. Which suits me better, frankly.

I'm still not 100% convinced about the pots. They're pretty stiff, and the bit between 9 & 10 gives massive change to volume/tone (as appropriate) whereas the rest of the range is much smoother. However, when playing reasonably loudly (anti-social home use, rather than gig volume) they've actually got enough finesse to work OK. So jury's out on whether to swap those out; going to give it a medium-term period to settle.

The only other thing I'm not totally sure about is the strings. I have a suspicion it has come fitted with 9s and I'd prefer 10s - it might be that they're 10s but feel like 9s because of the extra length, not sure. However, I'm too lazy to swap out absolutely brand new strings for a new set, particularly as they're clearly D'Addarios which is what I'd use anyway. So that's waiting until I scuff them up a bit more.

So basically, I'm in favour, and mine won't be going anywhere in a hurry. I'm currently pondering whether it means my old Fenix Tele needs to find a new home, or whether that still has a purpose in my life.
  • @Snags I've got a MIM Fender one of those in Candy Apple Red. I was looking for the '70s Tele Deluxe experience without negotiating the minefield of buying an expensive original. To get there, I've swapped the pups for a set of The Creamery WRHBs and replaced the wiring loom with one from Mojotone. It sounds great and it's easy to play.  The Mojotone loom uses very nice CTS pots - smooth and progressive. 

I did have to screen the entire control cavity with copper foil. It really suffered from static noise when my hand brushed the scratch plate. That fixed it and it's now very quiet indeed. 

It is, on a strap, a bit neck heavy. What's yours like? 
  • Snags said:
    Me likey.

Circumstances mean I haven't spent quite as much time with it as I'd have liked, but it's had a few thrashings.

I don't mave massive experience of Squier/Fender stuff, but the neck feels very similar to the Classic Vibe bitsa Strat I've got. It's all lacquered, but it doesn't feel sticky/grippy to me in any way (not that I'm a speed merchant).

I'm normally more of a Gibson scale-length kinda guy: my two most played guitars are an LP and a Starfire, both of which are 24.75" but the Tele doesn't feel massively different. Bit longer, bit narrower - I think the slight narrower feel balances out the slight change in fret distance.

Soundwise it's quite bright, but without that beheading edge of a single-coil Tele. Which suits me better, frankly.

I'm still not 100% convinced about the pots. They're pretty stiff, and the bit between 9 & 10 gives massive change to volume/tone (as appropriate) whereas the rest of the range is much smoother. However, when playing reasonably loudly (anti-social home use, rather than gig volume) they've actually got enough finesse to work OK. So jury's out on whether to swap those out; going to give it a medium-term period to settle.

The only other thing I'm not totally sure about is the strings. I have a suspicion it has come fitted with 9s and I'd prefer 10s - it might be that they're 10s but feel like 9s because of the extra length, not sure. However, I'm too lazy to swap out absolutely brand new strings for a new set, particularly as they're clearly D'Addarios which is what I'd use anyway. So that's waiting until I scuff them up a bit more.

So basically, I'm in favour, and mine won't be going anywhere in a hurry. I'm currently pondering whether it means my old Fenix Tele needs to find a new home, or whether that still has a purpose in my life.
    Hmmm... I've got a GAK voucher coming my way shortly & I'm seriously considering the seafoam green version. Nothing you're saying there is changing my mind!

• SnagsSnags Frets: 5694
    @TheBigDipper I haven't noticed it being particularly neck heavy, either on a strap or sat down. I haven't weighed it yet either, but as it qualifies as "lighter than my Les Paul" (which pretty much all my guitars do, although the Starfire might come close because of the Bigsby clone) I don't really notice it :)

I'll pay attention next time I get to spend some time with it, but certainly to date it has felt to just sit fine.