Mojo Jazzmaster (58-64) overwound bridge pickup set - thoughts

What's Hot
Js24Js24 Frets: 7
edited August 2023 in Making & Modding
Hi all,

How do the Mojo's stack up against other Jazzmaster pickups? Are they the real deal? I'm sure I read somewhere a while back that someone had swapped out pickups from their Custom Shop Jazzmaster for Mojo pickups... that's a pretty big endorsement if I'm remembering correctly!

Thanks!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• PhilKingPhilKing Frets: 1510
    I'm sure Marc's Mojo's are great but I haven't tried them.  I have AVRI's and also a set of US Mojotone 59's (which are good too), but I just got a set of Bare Knuckle Jazzmaster pickups, which are excellent.  I'm not sure if they are up on the website yet, but you can get them by calling BK and they'll tell you how to order.  They have a couple of voicings for them, but I wanted Tom Verlaine's sound from Television's Mr Lee (which are their "Surfy" model):

• They're awesome. Consistently recommended as the best JM pickups and I don't believe anyone here has ever had a bad word to say about them.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Js24Js24 Frets: 7
    edited August 2023
    Thanks, guys!

Heard great things about Bare Knuckle too, we're really spoiled for choice at the moment in the UK! I've got a couple of custom-wound humbuckers on order from the Creamery for a project, and I recently bought a set of Monty's guitars pickups for my Tele... I haven't got enough guitars to try all the highly regarded UK winders! One day....
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8221
    Js24 said:
    Hi all,

I'm sure I read somewhere a while back that someone had swapped out pickups from their Custom Shop Jazzmaster for Mojo pickups... that's a pretty big endorsement if I'm remembering correctly!

Anyway, I'm almost at the point of pulling the trigger, but some demos and testimonies from people who've already made the change would be awesome.

Thanks!
    That might have been my post but if so, you have misremembered it!

I have a CS Jazzmaster which is wonderful. The pick-ups are great. I bought a Fender Ultra JM and was hugely disappointed with the Noiseless pick-ups in comparison. Mojo were one of the sets recommended to me but I went with some from the Creamery. 

Big improvement but still not as crystal clear in their attack as the CS ones.

Good luck - it's a warren within a rabbithole shot on location in a tunnel occupied by bunnies...
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
  • Na, it’s @meltedbuzzbox who did exactly as described. I switched out my AV65 for overwound bridge mojos, and they’re loads better. The stock are nice, but mojos are a significant level above. 
  • Js24 said:
    Hi all,

Thinking about upgrading the pickups in my AV65 Jazzmaster - the stock pickups are actually fairly good, but I just want a bit more and have read good things about the Mojo overwound bridge set. But for the life of me, I can't find any demos anywhere... 

Can anyone direct me to any demos?

How do the Mojo's stack up against other Jazzmaster pickups? Are they the real deal? I'm sure I read somewhere a while back that someone had swapped out pickups from their Custom Shop Jazzmaster for Mojo pickups... that's a pretty big endorsement if I'm remembering correctly!

Anyway, I'm almost at the point of pulling the trigger, but some demos and testimonies from people who've already made the change would be awesome.

Thanks!
    That was me.

I much prefer the mojos. They are more articulate,  they sound much nicer and if you are a fussy sod, the magnets can be swapped as well.

I could probably send you some sound snippets via my helix if you want ?

The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    edited August 2023
    Hattigol said:
    That might have been my post but if so, you have misremembered it!

I have a CS Jazzmaster which is wonderful. The pick-ups are great. I bought a Fender Ultra JM and was hugely disappointed with the Noiseless pick-ups in comparison. Mojo were one of the sets recommended to me but I went with some from the Creamery. 

Ahh, possibly... I thought I'd read somewhere that someone on here upset a few people over as offsetguitars.com by replacing their CS pickups with Mojos -  But there's every chance I'm getting my wires crossed!!

Jaime from The Creamery is great - I've heard so many great things about his pickups, and cannot wait for the humbucker set I ordered from him to turn up! Although ironically I think the pickups will turn up before the rest of the project is finished, so it might be a while until I actually get to hear them... but I'm sure there'll be great.

For my Jazzmaster, I've been agonising over going with The Creamery, Mojo... and I think I'll stick Mojo this time because I've heard so many great things. But if for whatever reason they don't work for me, I'll drop Jaime from The Creamery another email

edited August 2023
    Ahh! Good to know I'm not going completely stir crazy - it must have been your post I was remembering.
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3310
    tFB Trader
    I've got his jazzmaster pickup set and they're bloody fantastic, think mine are only standard from memory

One of my favourite builds on the fender side
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    edited August 2023
    Good to hear!
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14786
    Js24 said:
    Thinking about upgrading the pickups in my AV65 Jazzmaster - the stock pickups are actually fairly good but I just want a bit more
    I also have an AV65. I agree that the stock pickups are good but leave room for slight improvement.

My path to more has been Seymour Duncan Antiquity. (Again!)

Somebody local to me chose Kurtis Novak pickups for his Am Pro JM. I forget the exact models but they were a distinct improvement on the stock Fender offerings with their decidedly non-JM coil proportions.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • Rich210Rich210 Frets: 577
    I've got a vintage spec creamery set which are great but I can't compare them to any other the Japanese ones that came out of it. I'm always in two minds whether to swap the pickups out of my doheny just to see. The singer in the band absolutely  adores the sound of my Japanese jazzer 
    edited August 2023
    Yeah, the Curtis Novak pickups are meant to be great - I did seriously consider them, but they work out much more expensive than a set from Mojo...

Would be amazing if there was some sort of video comparing the various vintage Jazzmaster pickups out there to see how offerings from The Creamery and Mojo compare against Seymour Duncan and Curtis Novak