Tele itch

What's Hot
dc77dc77 Frets: 28
Afternoon all.

I've quite a bad long standing itch to get another Tele after a short spell with one last year. Not looking to spend a huge amount, probably £500 tops.
Like the vintage look so something similar to the Classic vibe 50s in butterscotch. 

Any thoughts on these or alternatives? 

Cheers all
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• grayngrayn Frets: 975

Fender Player Tele.  A tad over £500.
  • For £500, vintage style my choice would used MIM, either Classic Series, Baja or Vintera.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • You can get a Baja for £500. The s1 switch is cool having series mode available is very handy. But the necks are BIG!!!

look at g&l tribute stuff too. Very good apparently. 

You may struggle to get vintera or classic player stuff at £500 now
  • PonchoGregPonchoGreg Frets: 764
    edited November 2020
    If you don't mind not having Fender on the headstock (and a slimmer neck), a CV 50s would be my choice and you would have some (significant) change left over, especially if buying used. I can't vouch for the newer Indonesian ones, but I tried a Chinese one on my tele quest a few years ago and it was very good indeed. Especially if it's more to scratch an itch, as opposed to finding your dream tele.

I think the days of sub-£500 Bajas (my next choice if you prefer a chunky neck) are over, looking at sold items on the Bay. And with the newer Vinteras in excess of £800, nabbing a second-hand one of these within budget could be tricky too.

EDIT: my bad looks like the standard Vintera 50s is 700 new, so theoretically you should be able to get one for around 500 if it comes up used. Got to be OK with vintage frets/radius though.
    Click here to see me butchering some classic solos!
  • You can get a Baja for £500. The s1 switch is cool having series mode available is very handy. But the necks are BIG!!!

The Baja Tele is the Classic Player Tele.

• gazrichardsgazrichards Frets: 693
    edited November 2020
    You can get a Baja for £500. The s1 switch is cool having series mode available is very handy. But the necks are BIG!!!

The Baja Tele is the Classic Player tele

i meant classic series - the series that predates the vintera stuff
  • But actually no, the classic player stuff was a series of guitars. There were strats and teles. The Baja was part of that series (and maybe they carried on doing it as it was popular. There was the triple tele end others too I’m sure???
  • 50’s Classic 2nd hand.
    Squier CV. - I’ve previously owned one of the early Made In China ones and currently have a recent Indonesian made one. Both very good. I don’t buy into the theory that the earlier ones are inherently better than the later ones.
  • CrankyCranky Frets: 2633
    I really like my Vintage Reissue V75.  They have a few other color and hardware options.
  • Cranky said:
    I really like my Vintage Reissue V75.  They have a few other color and hardware options.
    Have you compared yours to the Squier CV by chance ? I have a Vintage p bass and happy enough with it 
  • Dan_HalenDan_Halen Frets: 1682
    If you’ e already have a Tele and fancy something a little different this time a (MusicMan) Sterling Valentine is basically a Tele in a nice suit. Damn cool guitars. 
  • dc77dc77 Frets: 28
    Thanks for all the feedback.
    I'd probably go for the Baja over the classic player purely down to the 3 brass barrel saddles. I remember when the Baja Tele first come out and was always something I fancied after playing a few in stores. But I feel they may be a tad out my price range. 
  • Is  a used American made Tele not
    possible for around £500 these days?
  • CrankyCranky Frets: 2633
    Cranky said:
    Have you compared yours to the Squier CV by chance ? I have a Vintage p bass and happy enough with it 
    I haven't.  The Vintage seems to spec a little better, but that might depend on whose Alnico pickups and bridge one prefers.  The Vintage arguably has a better wood for the body, better tuners, a .5" flatter radius, and one more fret than the CV Tele.
  • Is  a used American made Tele not
    Nope!
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 20601
    Is this related to Jock Itch?
  • mike257mike257 Frets: 377
    Is  a used American made Tele not
    Nope!
    Was a few years ago. Have to be patient but bargains come up from time to time!