My hand keeps slipping off my knob

What's Hot
I’ve got a normal strat-type tone knob but the pot is a push/pull...it’s quite hard to pull unless you get your fingernails under it. Does anyone know if you can get a strat-type knob which is grippy?

Current workaround is a thin band of velcro hook but it’s not staying stuck very well.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12123
    edited December 2020

• I always used to fit push push on mine.  They have their own challenges, however. 

My preferred method is to fit mini toggle switches but that does mean more holes in the scratchplate.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73240
    What does the pull switch do? If it’s something like turning on one pickup or putting one in series you could rewire it for a master tone and a rotary blend for that function. Or replace it with a push-push pot if you use both tone controls.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• It’s just a coil split for a bridge humbucker (Eggle ‘96’).
    It’s just a coil split for a bridge humbucker (Eggle ‘96’).
    Ah, so only one tone control.

Push-push then - unless you only use it split along with the middle pickup, in which case you could rewire the switch to auto-split in that position.

Or fit Tele knobs...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• I was more hoping to find a knob with a discrete o-ring or two embedded in it ;-/
    I was more hoping to find a knob with a discrete o-ring or two embedded in it ;-/
    If you know someone with a lathe it wouldn't be difficult to turn a groove into the existing one and fit an o-ring.

• ICBM said:
    I was more hoping to find a knob with a discrete o-ring or two embedded in it ;-/
    If you know someone with a lathe it wouldn't be difficult to turn a groove into the existing one and fit an o-ring.
    My first trade! Only, I haven't been near one for thirty years ;)

Come to think of it, the neighbour might have a dinky one in his shed...
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28355
    I always use push push. Way easier to use.
  • Ibanez do these, but they may not fit the pots.
    https://www.thomann.de/gb/ibanez_control_knobs.html
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

• Ibanez do these, but they may not fit the pots.
    https://www.thomann.de/gb/ibanez_control_knobs.html
    Ta...will look into it.
  • Forgot to report back...diy solution:
    https://i.imgur.com/vwMR5sK.jpg
  • Try some gloves.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 27168
    Get a Dremel and cut a couple of wide, horizontal grooves around the knob?
    <space for hire>
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24909

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

• GSPBASSESGSPBASSES Frets: 2357
    tFB Trader
    Or you could change to a push push instead of a push pull.

Your life will improve when you realise it’s better to be alone than chase people who do not really care about you. Saying YES to happiness means learning to say NO to things and people that stress you out.

https://www.facebook.com/grahame.pollard.39/

• Try some gloves.
    I reckon a pair of Marigolds would be ideal ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JonathangusJonathangus Frets: 4703
    I've just done a partscaster with a push-pull, and I was having the same problem as you.  I remembered I had some speed knobs tucked away, and they're less slippy than the standard Strat knobs.  I think they suit the overall aesthetic rather well, too:

Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

• I've just done a partscaster with a push-pull, and I was having the same problem as you.  I remembered I had some speed knobs tucked away, and they're less slippy than the standard Strat knobs.  I think they suit the overall aesthetic rather well, too...
    Looks good...I do like a speed knob.
  • andy_kandy_k Frets: 829
    Another couple of suggestions, because I have had the same issues.
    1, pull the knob off, and pack it so that it doesn't go quite as low, this leaves a little more gap between the pickguard and the bottom edge- a little goes a long way.
    2, similar idea to above, but requires putting knob in a drill somehow, and removing a chamfer from the lower edge of knob, careful, as this can be painful if you don't follow instructions.
    3, Push Push, more work, but is the most elegant solution, the only drawback is the knob is easily activated accidentally , and can feel different to your existing knobs.
    If Finbar Saunders reads these -he will have a field day.