Anyone tried one of those kits to convert your strat to a 12 string?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• JohnS37JohnS37 Frets: 358
    I very much doubt if they have any formal protection over this.  Both methods of mounting the tuners employed on Rick 12 strings were around before Ricks started manufacturing them, and the combination of them doesn’t IMHO offer sufficient novelty for a patent.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74495
    JohnS37 said:
    I very much doubt if they have any formal protection over this.  Both methods of mounting the tuners employed on Rick 12 strings were around before Ricks started manufacturing them, and the combination of them doesn’t IMHO offer sufficient novelty for a patent.
    A patent and a trademark are different things. Rickenbacker hold trademarks on many design details of their guitars, which in some cases really aren't that original.

DiMarzio also hold the trademarks to the term PAF and humbuckers with two cream bobbins, neither of which they even originated, let alone were a novelty.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 10019
    JohnS37 said:
    Patents are not just granted for things that are novel. If both tuner mountings were already known separately, it may be inventive to combine them in that way, i.e. it wouldn’t be considered obvious to the average guitar designer to do it.

Patents are generally granted for a period of 20 years, when they expire anybody can copy the invention. Intellectual property can be protected in other ways of course like trade marks (the name, the logo), copyright, or a registered design.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom