Soldering station recommendations?

What's Hot
With one eye on the Christmas list, are there any recommendations (or avoids) regarding getting a half-decent soldering station?

It will be for very, very occasional use, and mostly just replacing plugs on cables, or the odd bit of wiring up sockets or swapping pickups/pots in guitars. It might get used on general electronics at some point, but as that's really above my paygrade it's not too likely.

Up to now I've muddled along with a thoroughly knackered £5 wand that came from Do-It-All millions of years ago, and doesn't help my already crap soldering to improve.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10557

An entry level one from CPC.co.uk will be fine for hobby use, like this £38 Tenma

www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2432
    Hakko stations have also been reported as popular here in other threads.

I've been using an Antex 690D for the past few years which is excellent but probably more than you need @Snags.

In fact, for the needs you have described most could be done just with an Antex XS25 soldering iron. If you think you are likely to also be soldering to the backs of pots or other metalwork then just buy two XS25 and fit one with a large tip. Then there is no waiting for tips to heat or cool.
  • I use a Hakko FX-888D - love it.
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10915
    I use a Hakko FX-888D - love it.
    Same, and same
  • PeteCPeteC Frets: 409
    Hakko +1.   They are so dependable and much smaller than some of cheaper knock offs. 
    Makes soldering a pleasure.  
  • Hakkos are great (I have one also) but it’s quite a jump in price from the £50 soldering stations that are often recommended.
  • I've got a Metcal PS-900 - all good so far, made few amps, wired up some guitars. It's taken everything in its stride :)
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4180
    Hakko FX-888D
  • FlipFlip Frets: 68
    I've had mine for maybe 20+ years and it still does what it said on the box. It heats up in super quick time and there's a temperature read-out on the panel. This week I bought a pack of 10 new expandable sponges to replace the last original that broke when it got dry.
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10557
    Hakkos are great (I have one also) but it’s quite a jump in price from the £50 soldering stations that are often recommended.
    That's my thoughts too. I have over a grands worth of irons and hot air equipment but I use these tools every day and they have paid for themselves many times over. I wouldn't recommend anyone who wants to make the odd cable and solder up some guitar looms buy a £150 plus soldering station when a £50 will do just fine. 

The mistake most people make is trying to solder with a £10 iron, especially attacking lead free jobs. There's a limit to how little you can spend also:)
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • In general I would stay away from cheap no-name tools that require replacement parts (bits and sometimes elements in this case), but Hakko replacement bits are quite difficult to get hold of! There’s basically one place which has a website that looks like it hasn’t been revamped since 1998 and you have to pay in a strange antiquated way. I doubt you’d have much trouble getting spare bits for a generic Chinese iron sold under many brand names.
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3073
    edited December 2020
    In general I would stay away from cheap no-name tools that require replacement parts (bits and sometimes elements in this case), but Hakko replacement bits are quite difficult to get hold of! There’s basically one place which has a website that looks like it hasn’t been revamped since 1998 and you have to pay in a strange antiquated way. I doubt you’d have much trouble getting spare bits for a generic Chinese iron sold under many brand names.
    You're talking about Dancap Electronics.

They have  been bought and Hakko are now distributed here in the UK: https://www.hakko.co.uk/
  • Devil#20Devil#20 Frets: 1998
    I like Weller irons because I like the feel of the handle and the soldering tips are great quality. I have a WE1010 I think it is which is probably a couple of hundred quid which is probably too much for what you want. It's a cheap soldering station in Weller terms though. I've used a Hakko and they are very good but I think they are about the same price as mine. I'd be buying one for £50 given your requirements and save yourself a few quid and just use a good leaded solder. Forget unleaded. Don't forget you'll need to budget for all the other stuff you need for soldering which might not come with your station. 

Ian

Lowering my expectations has succeeded beyond my wildest dreams.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom