NGD - early-2000s PRS goodness

PonchoGregPonchoGreg Frets: 764
edited December 2020 in Guitar

Well, that’s a long-standing itch well and truly scratched!

I started playing electric in the early 2000s, and back then a PRS was the stuff of legend in France. There were a few about, but as a teenager you’d have no chance of ever trying the one model a shop might happen to stock. I did try a used one at the time and it stuck with me as the best guitar I’d ever laid my hands on - from then on it was on the bucket list as something to get somehow, someday. Preferably in a fetching McCarty burst.

Fast forward nearly 20 years, and there we are with my first ever core PRS – fittingly, an early-2000s (2003) Custom 22. Got it off Reverb, used but not abused.

Now, I’ve had the privilege of owning some very nice guitars in the meantime (high-end Jap Tokai, Gibsons, etc), so it’s not quite the same near-religious experience I had all those years ago. Still, it’s bloody nice! It just rings, probably more so than any other guitar I’ve owned, which combined with the stoptail translates to a really thick, sweet tone with bags of sustain. Pretty much the PRS (22-fret) tone to me!

Part of that could be the wide fat neck, which is actually a fair bit chunkier than I would have expected – not far off the 59-style profile on my old LP, albeit wider, which actually makes it more comfortable. There’s also a lovely “suppleness” to it, which I’ve always found common to core PRSi – the frets just disappear, and the tension is right in the sweet spot with a set of 10s.

I was expecting to be non-plussed by the stock Dragon II pickups based on conventional internet wisdom, but they’re actually very good. The neck in particular is thick but not boomy or undefined, while the bridge is also not overly pokey and can cop some very good classic rock tones. They also split well, and the volume control is super effective at getting a range of “in-between” tones.

I’m definitely keen on ditching the rotary switch for McCarty wiring, and will probably drop in a set of Bulldog Hot PAFs I have spare to see how the guitar takes to slightly “livelier” handwound pickups. Longer term, probably a bit of TLC from Feline on the frets – they have plenty of life left, and are perfectly playable as is, but are still 17 years old so have the odd pit and flat spot.

All in all, a very happy camper!

On a side note, what compelled me to finally make the jump to a core PRS was the SE Custom 24 I acquired shortly before that – seriously, seriously good and I now totally understand the argument that you get 80% of the PRS experience for 1/3 of the price (well, with new PRS prices these days it's more 1/4 of the price!). It’s not got quite the same ring, depth of tone, and playability to it, but still punched waaaay above its weight.

Click here to see me butchering some classic solos!
0reaction image LOL 13reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Arktik83Arktik83 Frets: 431
    Ooh that's pretty!  I had a CE from 2006 I think it was and I miss that guitar, was lovely!  HNGD!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Actually, I could see a CE 24 in my future too, for snappier/rockier tones... Quite curious about the PRS take on bolt-ons.

Separately - what's up with the PRS strap buttons?? Impossible to fit any of my straps, they're so bloody big!  =)
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12333
    Actually, I could see a CE 24 in my future too, for snappier/rockier tones... Quite curious about the PRS take on bolt-ons.

Separately - what's up with the PRS strap buttons?? Impossible to fit any of my straps, they're so bloody big!  =)
    Once they are on, they don't come off!
  • That's how I remember PRS's looking! I'm very jealous
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 15430
    tFB Trader
    Actually, I could see a CE 24 in my future too, for snappier/rockier tones... Quite curious about the PRS take on bolt-ons.

Correct - Remove the strap button - Now refit with your strap in place under the button
  • Actually, I could see a CE 24 in my future too, for snappier/rockier tones... Quite curious about the PRS take on bolt-ons.

Correct - Remove the strap button - Now refit with your strap in place under the button
    Yeah, my complaint was a bit tongue in cheek. I could do that when needed, but I play sitting down 99% of the time so happy as is (I also like the look of the PRS buttons so not keen on changing them)
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 15430
    tFB Trader

Yeah, my complaint was a bit tongue in cheek. I could do that when needed, but I play sitting down 99% of the time so happy as is (I also like the look of the PRS buttons so not keen on changing them)
    No problem - But believe me, I've seen players remove them, for small run of the mill buttons to get round the problem - So not even strap locks 

No problem - But believe me, I've seen players remove them, for small run of the mill buttons to get round the problem - So not even strap locks 

Is it a case that PRS's own straps fit over the button more easily, or do they also need the button removed/reinstalled?
  • chris78chris78 Frets: 10236
    Lovely top on that. Not crazy flamey but lovely and minerally. Really nice.
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2161
    edited December 2020
    I think the Dragon II’s are very amp dependant. They sound good with a Marshall style amp. But I find them a little muddy on Vox AC/ Blackstar Artisan EL84 type amps. There’s a lack of definition to my ears. But each to his own. 

Good score BTW

Is it a case that PRS's own straps fit over the button more easily, or do they also need the button removed/reinstalled?

All my straps do, but the PRS strap does slot over it nicely.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 3001
    edited December 2020
    Looks awesome, happy new guitar day! 
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12766
    I have a Bulldog Hot PAF in the bridge position of my PRS CE 22. Genuinely wonderful 
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• PonchoGregPonchoGreg Frets: 764
    edited December 2020
    impmann said:
    I have a Bulldog Hot PAF in the bridge position of my PRS CE 22. Genuinely wonderful 
    Yup - I got a Hot PAF from Hayden for the SE 24 this replaced. Sounded ace, that's why I'd like to try it in this
  • PonchoGregPonchoGreg Frets: 764
    edited December 2020
    Daaaaamn @impmann you weren't kidding....

Fitted the Bulldogs tonight and boy did the Hot PAF open it up. Absolutely nails everything from classic rock to hair metal tones. Way more definition and bark than the Dragon II (although the really thick mids of the stock bridge pickup were really cool on clean tones, ironically). May not be a 100% fair comparison as the Bulldog is uncovered, but so far I don't think this will come back out.

Treated it to some (ludicrously expensive) new PRS rings while I was at it as the old ones were looking a bit custardy.

The neck pickup is actually a custom job by Hayden, 7.7k PAF but with an alnico III magnet. It's really nice and clear but perhaps a bit too clear, might play around with different magnets to see if I can thicken it up a bit. Still very nice and singing, and again much more defined than the Dragon II.
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12766
    Yup... Hayden makes great pickups! 
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.