Nut slot height/Action at the first fret

What's Hot
I’m recutting the nut slots on my Les Paul, as the action is too high on some strings, and varies quite a lot string to string.

What is a good compromise string height at the first fret, for strings 1-3 ?  I measure with feeler gauges. The wound strings are at about  0.013” now which feels about right. 

Originally thought I’d like to go quite low on the treble strings, maybe 0.008” or so on the 1st string without any risk of buzzing when digging in, but then I read somewhere that hammer ons aren’t so good when the action is really low near then nut. Of course once it’s done you can’t go back!

I have stewmac nut files, it’s the original Gibson  plastic nut which is really slippery and slow cutting so at least no risk of going too far by accident! But someone’s wisdom here might give me something to aim for rather me than trying to go as low as I can then regretting it!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 73077
    Don't measure the open string height, it's dependent on the relief. Fret each string at the 3rd fret and check the gap between the string and the first fret.

Ideal - about .001"-.002" on the top E, progressively up to about .005"-.010" on the low E. You can usually get away with a bit more on the thin strings if you're not confident of getting it that accurate.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks, I have a problem trying that method though because the 1st fret is 0.006” higher than the rest (long story , despite a fret level I had done, better than it was originally though) 

But I will try and take your measurements and make it work for me with a bit of geometry, that’s what I’m after really progressively lower action towards the top E.  I like the neck setup with almost no relief so should be able to work out an equivalent open string height.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom