Billy Bo Gretsch style body. Anyone ever build one?

What's Hot
Just wondering if anyone ever attempted to put one of these together?
Body looks like the hardest part to make I’d guess? I haven’t come across any kits before but have seen one off builds of various configurations.
Anyone ever attempt it ?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14786
    Paging @HarrySeven ;
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • Spotted one for sale near me. Not sure of the build quality but it’s a tele config with a bigsby with a p90 h size neck pickup.
    Yes, essentially a tele but a bloody cool looking one !
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7127
    edited December 2020 tFB Trader
    I'm pretty sure that @GSPBASSES made a bass version some years ago?

EDIT: 
    https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/908004/#Comment_908004
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Oooo @GSPBASSES if such a body still exists....
  • GSPBASSESGSPBASSES Frets: 2357
    tFB Trader
    I have made these before, I might even have one in my storeroom part built, I shall have a look tomorrow.

Your life will improve when you realise it’s better to be alone than chase people who do not really care about you. Saying YES to happiness means learning to say NO to things and people that stress you out.

https://www.facebook.com/grahame.pollard.39/

• Yes, indeed. Still got two ‘project’ bodies/necks hanging about. Really need to get round to doing something with them.

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GSPBASSES said:
    I have made these before, I might even have one in my storeroom part built, I shall have a look tomorrow.
    tFB Trader

I did have one lurking in the storeroom, and it got a neck to go with it. If I remember correctly it was the first one I built to test out the jigs, which to be honest the neck pocket was not good as she can see in the second photo. I did make new jigs to improve the fit.  Although the neck is not a very good fit, once it's glued it will be fine, all this will be taken into account in the pricing of this guitar.

The body is made from Mahogany with a Flame Maple cap, the body is fully chambered each side of the centre block. The body has cream binding to match the neck and headstock. The body is routed for TV Jones pickups, but because there quite small it could be re routed to take P90’s or humbuckers. The neck is Mahogany with an Ebony Fingerboard, 24.75”scale, 22 frets.

As you can see from the photos there's still a bit of work to do to finish it.

Your life will improve when you realise it’s better to be alone than chase people who do not really care about you. Saying YES to happiness means learning to say NO to things and people that stress you out.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • @GSPBASSES interesting! I had thought about a tele neck but that might look pretty ugly. I have no idea about jigs or whatnot so I would guess different necks might be an issue with this body?
  • enteeentee Frets: 93
    @Creed_Clicks , @GSPBASSES built me a custom Billy Bo a couple of years ago - a glorious machine it is too  :)  Flamed top, with ebony fingerboard and headstock cap with gold fretwire  Love mine to bits.
    Is the one you still have, a trial for mine Graham?
    Vox 24, Variax 700, Epiphone Dot Studio (Cats Whiskers pups, custom inlay, custom pickguard), Gretsch 5238T (P90s/B3), Gibson Les Paul Zoot (rainbow), Gretsch 5135 PS, 'Graick' G2312TVR, BarileleBo (electric baritone ukulele G6199).
    tFB Trader
    entee said:
    @Creed_Clicks , @GSPBASSES built me a custom Billy Bo a couple of years ago - a glorious machine it is too  :)  Flamed top, with ebony fingerboard and headstock cap with gold fretwire  Love mine to bits.
    Is the one you still have, a trial for mine Graham?
    Yes it is.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited December 2020
     @GSPBASSES ; What will you do with it?
    Vox 24, Variax 700, Epiphone Dot Studio (Cats Whiskers pups, custom inlay, custom pickguard), Gretsch 5238T (P90s/B3), Gibson Les Paul Zoot (rainbow), Gretsch 5135 PS, 'Graick' G2312TVR, BarileleBo (electric baritone ukulele G6199).
  • @GSPBASSES I'm undecided at the moment. I had been thinking of a hardtail with some filtertrons, or just a bridge filtertron....
    @Creed_Clicks my finished one is here  :) 
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • entee said:
    Oh my ! That’s a work of art! I’d be afraid to play it !
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited December 2020 tFB Trader
    @GSPBASSES I'm undecided at the moment. I had been thinking of a hardtail with some filtertrons, or just a bridge filtertron....
    I only put the photos of the guitar up in answer to your question, I did not expect you to buy it or anybody else come to that. It is a prototype testing out the jigs as I said previously, it could be made into a working guitar with no real problems at all. If you’re looking for a custom build one of these guitars then yes I can do it whatever configuration you’re thinking off.

entee said:
     @GSPBASSES ;; What will you do with it?

I have no plans for the guitar as I said above I was only answering the question, this guitar is quite a bit different from the one that I built for you, the neck joint obviously is very different, the main control cavity on the back is somewhat larger than the one I put on your guitar, but if anybody wants to have a go at finishing the guitar PM me.

• sawyersawyer Frets: 732
    entee said:
    Awesome!
    sawyer said:
    entee said:
    Awesome!
    Thank you.